Wanna grow marco algae but no room in my sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scotty09

Aquarium Advice Freak
Wanna grow marco algae but no room in my sump wanna grow it in my dt any way of doing this want in the corner nice and neat ......any ideas or help would be nice

hmmm not sure. You could make a small cage out of egg crate and fasten in in the upper corner of the dt. I made a frag rack this way and used a small piece of fishing line and put it around one of the legs of my light fixture. This was only temporary but it held up perfectly fine.

Fort someone might know where I could buy a real one from a shop

Depending on the macro algae you could let it attach to some rocks and put it in the corner, things like feather caulerpa
Caulerpa
I had some grape caulerpa that messed up my tank when it went sexual, it comes in red or green. With either one you have to make sure it doesn't go past where you want it to be and be careful when pruning it back so it doesn't get away and start someplace else.

Dont know any UK shops, but I'm sure a little googling can find what you need. I can lead ya to water my friend, but I can't make you drink :)

Those basket type of things are found in big box stores here in the bathroom section even places that sell hardware has them. The only other thing I can think of is getting some plastic canvas and zip tying it into something that looks like a box.

Any one tried this any forts

Attachments

• image-1637902364.jpg
    image-1637902364.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 78
  • image-440358566.jpg
    image-440358566.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 79
An in tank refugium will work well but if you decide to plant macro directly in your tank, research a lot on what kind to use. Many macros are extremely invasive and can spread and over grow your corals etc. I know people who have put a small piece into their tank for some extra variety of life and little pieces break off, flow to another rock, attach and spread until the entire tank is over grown with what they just wanted a small piece of in the corner. Almost impossible to get rid of since if you scrape it off your rocks any small piece left over will grow and spread again. This is why it is illegal to sell Caulerpa in this country in the state of California. People might throw away their extra when pruning and it would add to the terrible problem they have already.

Wanna get the right algae to export nutrients but not take over my dt

Do you have room for a HOB fuge? Even if it hangs on your sump? If you could do that then you would be golden to grow whatever you like in it, but if it has to be in your DT and you don't want to worry about it goin sexual or takin over chaeto is good. It grows really fast, and is a good snack for herbivore fish. Also one that I've noticed no one has mentioned is red leaf mangroves. They can be placed in full saltwater tanks and grown off salt water. They eat excess nutrients in the tank. You just have to spray their leaves with RODI (or your fresh water top off source) 1-2 times a day. And make sure the stay above the water with roots in water.

As xxSTLxx said, Chaeto is very good. I like Gracilaria with it's attractive red color but it doesn't grow as fast (remove nutrients) as chaeto. If you have any tangs they will eat it all as soon as you put it in the tank, they love the stuff. I also like the looks of the calcareous algaes such as Halimeda and Codium but most are slower growers as well.

A HOB fuge is a hang on back refugium. You can put those on the back of the sump or back of the tank so none of the algae is in your DT

Back
Top Bottom