Want to do a HOB refug on my sump to start my pods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bulldog5

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Want to do a HOB refug on my sump to start my pods. Is this a good to start and to maintain a good pod population? Not going to start it till my tank had been going for 6 months or more. I'm playing on getting the biggest refug that can fit on my sump saw one like 24" long

First, I guess you sump does not have a refugium section? If it does then don't bother with the HOB.

Second, why wait 6 months? Fire that thing up now and get a population going.

Still in planning stage. Yea sump is a big plastic tub with external pump that's y the HOB . Ok cool so just let it cycle with the tank then?

Still in planning stage. Yea sump is a big plastic tub with external pump that's y the HOB . Ok cool so just let it cycle with the tank then?

You can. Just don't plan on adding any macro algae for a while.

Thanks! What's the best thing to have in it to house pods I was going to go with rubble and some cheto. Some one also told me to,use that mud stuff. I really new to this hole refugium thing.

Thanks! What's the best thing to have in it to house pods I was going to go with rubble and some cheto. Some one also told me to,use that mud stuff. I really new to this hole refugium thing.

What are you using for the hob fuge? I would not use mud.

I'm looking around right now to find the biggest one that can fit on my sump. My wife want to get a mandarin so mainly to have a lovely place for pods to live and also to help out any it can to help my tank run right. I've read a good refugium can also help with doing less maintenance. So I'm not sure on what to have in it to help in these ways. Also wanted to run opposite my tank lights. Don't really want it going 24/7. So any help u can give would be great. Thank u very much

I got a 79 bow and I'm planning on a easy reef with a had full of fish, as I understand it more get into hard corals. Im still going over types of corals would be good not too sure witch route yet. Any info u can give I would love to have. Still not sure how much rock I'm going to do 1.5 or 2 per gallon. Only thing I am sure is that I'm going all dry rock cause I don't want any one there I don't want

Well some say bare minimum to keep a mandarin is 75 lbs of rock. I'm not sure if that is on a diet of strictly pods or both pods and prepared foods . Even with a fuge I would not attempt one with under 100 lbs. and even at that I would wait a year till your tank is well established and pods are self sustaining.

Why not just make the refugium in the sump? My refugium is a basic 10g tank without any baffles. I use egg crate to separate off sections. In the first section is my heater, overflow outlet, HOB filter with phosphate removal media, and my macro algae. In the second section is my rubble, and in the last is my pump up to the DT

Back
Top Bottom