Want to try anemones and more corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brunkdent

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Have a 29 gal. reef(ish) tank with a maroon clown that I have had for about 5 months a six line wrasse that has been in there just over a week, cleaner shrimp that I have had for almost a year, arrow crab, couple of hermits, and 3 snails.

I have been struggling with this tank for 2 years now. It was an established tank that I inherited and I think I have finally sorted out all its issues, water is pristine..many fish have died in the process so I am timid about changing anything.

I have some mushrooms and some zoas. The zoas seem to be half happy and the other half not (these were also inherited, along with some bristle worms that I think munched on them). I KNOW I have a lighting issue.

Currently I have a single bulb fixture, tank has a full hood. The bulb that is in right now is an ultra sun, I had one in with more blue light but it wasn't helping anything aside from making my fish look pretty. I am on a budget for sure. Does anybody have a duel or triple light fixture/combo they recommend for things like anemones, mushrooms, zoas? I would also like a night light in there as well. Would like to have more complex corals in the future. I don't plan on adding anything right away I just want to get lighting set up and go from there. Any opinions/advice will be considered and appreciated!

Thanks!

If this is the route you are looking to go down, then you should look at the taotronics LED units from ebay and amazon. You can keep any photosynthetic creature under these lights.

Going to check that out!

I have googled around but I just hate not being able to have in my hands first unless somebody who has had it recommends it :blink:

many of us run the ebay leds and one unit would be perfect for your 29 gallon. They are the most cost effective way to have enough light for coral. Make sure to get the ones with dimmers although I think that may be standard now.

From what I could tell the dimmers were their main selling point so it looks like its a standard feature. I will probably go with one of these, just not entirely sure if I should commit to hanging it or make a way to have it attached to the tank. Idk how much hanging it is gonna entail and getting DH to help might cost me lol

Back
Top Bottom