Warning to emrald owners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I have 4 coraline "machines" in the form of urchins and also 4 emerald crabs. My coraline is on the constant increase.
If he's beating someone up, I don't blame you I would move him too.

Gotcha..... well my coraline isn't doing so great so maybe I should listen to you... :mrgreen:

I got a picture of both crabs together last night. I am posting here so you can see the difference. The one all the way on the left is a normal emerald the one on the left has grown like a mad man, but again..he seems like he a great asset to my tank.

Attachments

• wnj.jpg
    wnj.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 176
I had to edit and edit to get my picture right. Sorry about that. I guess I didn't get enough coffee yet :)

I have 3 small and 1 big. I got them all at the same from the same place. I've only seen them eat algae and clean up from feedings. I had 1 small one get kinda close to my toadstool but it looked like he was just eatting some of the shedded skin.

Is there any backing to the theory that its a male female thing?

If the emerald is eating your coralline, this can actually be a good thing. Urchins do the same thing...but this actually aids in the spreading of the spore. Think of a bird eating a berry and then pooping the seed out a mile away. Same thing. :wink:

I dont know much about the male/female theory, but they are definitely was different in size. I enjoy them alot though and don't see them as a problem.

I had/have 4. Two were green and the same size when purchased. Once grew extremly fast and had the huge claws while the other stayed small. I also had a brown one with huge claws and now only have one left that is red w/ the smaller body/claws. I have never seen any of mine doing damage to anything other then just pickinga at the rock.

Well I have damage now. My bigger Emerald Crab with huge claws is really going to town on my coral. Any ideas? We really enjoy him and want to keep him, so I was curious if anyone has any ideas for me.

THANK YOU!! :?

Back
Top Bottom