Yes, toxins are real from the Zoanthids and Palythoas - corals. And some spines of fish.
I had a frag rock I bumped off the top rock, it wasn't glued because I was still looking for the location with the right amount of light. It hit just the edge of a colony - one of these are the culprits. It bumped the far right edge.
There was a pale one in there too pink purplish looked like the Hawaiian ones.
After it bumped the opened heads, I saw milky looking liquid squirt out of at least 2, a really large squirt from one. I didn't think too much of it and yes, my hands were bare without gloves. After another 5-10 minutes the side of my hand was going numb. Finally I thought it could be from the Zoa.
Washed up really well. Later everything seemed disturbed/closed mostly. Next day almost everything in the tank was dead. It was a nano 12G. I would have done a huge pwc
or 2. I didn't realize the power they had.
If you keep them, beware!
Read about some tests and some had no toxic effect, some mild and others were extreme toxic effect.
Glad to hear you are getting better.