watch those overflows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hackteck

Aquarium Advice Addict
the neglected the addon overflow on tank and the utube got clogged with hair algae i heard a spilling sound and the return was pumping too much water into the tank because the overflow was clogged luckily i caught it in time only spilled maybe a cup or two of water could have been so much worse

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The sponges need frequent attention also. The sponge will retard flow, the auto fill will fill.

hmmm theres gotta be a betetr way to this. has anyone put an auto top off sensor in their main display tank? one that rather then pumping more water shuts off the pump whe nthe level gets to high?

but atleast it happened when you were home and you caught it

I went through in my head, every problem possible with having a sump and decided a float switch to turn off return pump was a must in the event the overflow fails :hide:

This will work - Amazon.com: Ultralife Float Switch: Kitchen & Dining for $$$

Or you can use an A/C condensate switch(24v) that operates a relay.

Need:
1 - Condensate switch
1 - 24v transformer
1 - Relay w/24v coil(I prefer normally open, but can be closed depending on how you wire switch)
?ft -Thermostat wire
1 - Electrical enclosure box

You can also add a time delay, so the pump doesn't get kicked off/on/off/on too quickly.

The only thing I'm concerned with is the foam that is used on the switch...And I know the arm of the switch is metal. I've heard the krylon fusion paint is non toxic, so I will try to coat it with the paint and see how it cures.

I'll post pics when I put it together...

Last edited:
thats a pretty good idea that guy came up with thanks for sharing the link

Back
Top Bottom