water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thefishguy

Aquarium Advice Regular
do I have to go and buy a RO system or can I just stick it in a big trash can and age it. And if I do have to get a RO system do I have to add and aditive to it after. I heard it takes to much out of the water

I got mine on eBay from filterdirect. It was the least expensive one I could find. I keep the water in a 30 gal rubbermaid, so I always have plenty available. So far I haven't added anything other than reef buffer, but I know that I may have to dose calcium and iodine later.

Aging tap water is not *nearly* the same as a good RO/DI unit. If you age your tap water it will very likely still have a TDS of 150 or so (some areas much worse). That stuff doesn't belong in your tank. The salt that is added to the RO/DI water is formulated to put into that RO/DI water all of the necessary elements for reefkeeping (as close as synthetic can get to Mother Nature). Saltwater should age for 24-48 hrs after mixing anyway so that the salt can properly dissolve.

That being said, I started my tank on tap water and it probably still has quite a bit of tap still in it, but I also bought an RO/DI unit for 100$ off of ebay from FilterDirect and have been using that ever since.

I always have 30g stored in 5g containers ready for use.

Back
Top Bottom