Water and Sand From the Ocean?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blue H2O

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I live on the coast and was wondering if I could use the local live sand and salt water for my tanks. Just a thought, but if i set up a larger tank it would be a lot cheaper (free!) to get my own live sand.

I participated in a field study in which we took small samples of the local sand (intertidal) and were able to separate the micro fauna from the sand. The sand is loaded with copepods and various worms. Would this be safe for my tank?

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
This is not generally recommended. There are a lot of pollutants and imparities in both the sand and water, somethings you do not want to introduce into a home aquarium. If you decide to, it is suggested that you go .5-1 mile off shore for collection.

The water inshore is more likely to have pollutants. I was thinking about getting the sand/water from a marsh creek system behind a barrier island. We go into these creeks in the winter time to harvest osyters and the water is truly pristine. I do go several miles offshore regularly, so it would be easy to get water out there.

I was considering using an empty 10g to hold water with a sand bed at room temp and using this for water changes.

You never know what pathogen you may introduce when adding NSW to your closed aquarium, so I am not a big fan of that idea. I know some people do it regularly without problems, but all it takes is once to wipe out a tank.

As for the LS, I wonder how the cold water species you collect offshore would fare in the tropical environment of the tank. Just a thought.

Blue H2O said:
I was thinking about getting the sand/water from a marsh creek system behind a barrier island.

Remember, the marshes in our natural habitats do the same thing as our liver in our own bodies. That is the location where all the "junk" gets broken down. -That's why the marshes have that distinct smell, too. Plus, a lot of street runoff goes to the marshes (depending on where you live).

Anything that grows off of NC isn't going to grow at 75-80 degrees. Also, there are no reefs off of NC, so there is no aragonite. best to go with what's proven. I would only use local materials if you want to raise local species.

Back
Top Bottom