Water change question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wood_Dog

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have recently undergone a big change to my tank. I was running a UGF under CC ( I know its very old school and thats why the change ) I now have a DSB , heaps of lr and a protein skimmer. Because I knew the UGF was less than ideal I was religiously changing at least 10 - 15% of the water weekly, more often than not, more. So now I have been running the skimmer for about 3 weeks and water params seem to be quite good and stable. How often and how much should I change now?
Water params are as follows

P.h 8.2
Ammonia 0
Nititre 0
Nitrate 10ppm
Calcium 400ppm Carbonate Hardness 3Dkh ( been told this is low )
Phosphate 0
S.Gravity 1.021

Have a few soft corals that are doing well and want to add some leathers.
Oh, I have 1 Coral Beauty, 1 Chromis and 1 Clown in a 55 gal

That's really gonna depend on your tank. I'd cut back to doing one every other week and see how that effects your parameters. If no change, then maybe once every third week and so on. I would do water changes 10-15% at least once a month regardless of the good parameters though to replenish trace elements. HTH

I agree with Fluff. You might want to work on those nitrAtes. I have a 55G and do my PWC from 3-4 weeks. I do 20%.

I like weekly PWC but only for the insurance part of it. Nothing wrong with others advice.

Back
Top Bottom