Water Change questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crono_vivi

Aquarium Advice Regular
How much time before you do the actual water change do you mix up the saltwater? Also, how do you exactly do it? Do you just siphon out 20/30% of your water, and add the new saltwater? Thanks for the help.

Also, what would you suggest for filtration on a 38? Would one Whisper 100 Powerhead be enough? Also, what is Canister Filtration?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm new to the hobby.

There have been lots of posts on this. Go to the monster island forum, or search aquarium advice.

I mix it in a 30 gallon Brut garbage can (new of course) and let in mix with a pump and heater for 24 hrs. Then I suck out the water from the tank and pump the new in from the can. Good luck, and feel free to ask any question you wish :mrgreen:

Don't forget to match salinity and temperature before adding the new water!

Your filtration questions: are you using live rock? Canister filters are more a FW thing, I think. Most people here use live rock as their main source of filtration . . . any filter media (sponges, bio balls, those little carbon/filter inserts) may increase the nitrates in your water more than they help. (There's debate on this, as with just about everything in SW as I'm learning. Well, everyone agrees damsels are mean. :) )

Back
Top Bottom