water changes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kukki

Aquarium Advice Regular
i know there are alot of people that dont ever have to do water changes because of how their system is built and manages to self-sustain so to speak

what allows you to do such a thing... if all of your water readings are always say.. ammonia, nitrite and nitrate 0... pH always in the right area never changing... { as well as all of the others } .... and if you have a auto-top off system that works pretty good... what would you then need to ever change the water for?...

i guess im trying to say, what allows such a thing to happen where you can go water change'less - not really looking to myself, just a question :)

I don't do very regular water changes, basically only to keep my calcium high and to clean out any junk that has settled into the sump.

I really never do water changes except after a major cleaning or something that really disrupts a bunch crap. But I have a ton of DIY stuff to auto top off with Kalk, a denitrator, and both a sump and a fuge of about 20 gallonas a piece. The only thing I do on a regular basis is test and adjust my trace elements. Other than that, I have actually found water changes to disrupt my system. In reality I think it depends on both your tank setup and philosophy toward adding things to your tank, some people only add minerals through water changes, I personally prefer using a combination of trace elements and specific addiitves. But remember, always test before you add things to the tank because too much is often far worse than not enough.

Back
Top Bottom