Water Changes, How Much?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How Much Water?

• Total voters

redsea

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi everyone, I have three questions and a poll today! :)

How much water do you take out for water changes, and what is your fish stock like? Lastly, what is the size of your aquarium?

Just trying to gauge how much I should do when I get one again. :)

EDIT: It also may be helpful to include how ofter you perform water changes.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I have three questions and a poll today! :) How much water do you take out for water changes, and what is your fish stock like? Lastly, what is the size of your aquarium? Just trying to gauge how much I should do when I get one again. :) EDIT: It also may be helpful to include how ofter you perform water changes.
IMO it depends on your bioload and what/ if any kind of coral you have. I do 25% every 2 weeks which comes out to 55 gallons on a 220 gallon system. All coral seems to do great and I have noticed less algae growth in general. I have 4 medium tangs, a flame angel, a half dozen blue/green chromis and 6-7 other goby/blenny/wrasses.

DT-125g
overall volume- ~155-160g
I do a 50g pwc once a month. (my nitrates reached 60 about 2 months ago, but have since settled in between 20-40)
only reason I don't do bi-weekly is because its a fowlr and I have 12 fish, all of which are juvenile, so my bio-load is relatively light for now.
I do have to stay on top of the algae but that's to be expected.
also in terms of what percentage you should aim for on your water changes, that varies widely depending on stock, bioload, skimmer efficiency, etc. you could start out at 10% weekly and see where your levels stabilize at. if they stay at 0-5 for trates, you could prob do 10% every ten days. id let the params be the judge of how often and how much you do.

Back
Top Bottom