Water checks...How often and for what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I check my parameters about once a month at this point. I have not added much to the tank in a long time and everything looks very healthy. Since I am running a FOWLR at this point, I do not have to monitor Ca and Alk as carefully as when I was running a reef. The only thing I check more often is salinity, which I check at each water change. The parameters I check for are:

Salinity
pH
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Phosphate
Calcium
Alkalinity

tripper

I check alinity every day and I have been checking pH Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Calcium, and Alkalinity 3 or 4 times a wekk on my tank that is cycling.

On my tank that set p right now though, the only thing that has been checked in 6 months is the salinity.

New tanks need to be tested more then old stable tanks IMO.

125 reef I only check my Ca and alk when I do water changes once a month so I know how much additive I need to use, and maybe the PO4 if I see some algae, NO3 and Silicate on rare occasion. thats it..

55 fowlr I only test NO3 maybe every other month if I behind on my water changes.

When new I tested for Ph, Amm, Nitrite, No3, Ca, Alk.

I check my Ca once a week. (Trying to promote coralline +400ppm) Ammonia once a week. Phosphates every other week. Temp when I am feeding. And copper once a month. Ran copper to cure ich problem in display. Using polyfilter to remove all traces.

Once a week ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, SG. Just to make sure everything is still good. :D

Back
Top Bottom