Water circulation? Advice, please...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. Quint

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 29-gallon reef tank, with a filter that is rated for a 50-gallon tank. I have some corals in the tank, which seem to be doing ok so far, but they have only been in for a couple of weeks. My understanding is that the corals I have don't require a particularly high level of water circulation. So, my question is: Will my filter provide sufficient water circulation over the long term, or do I need to get a power head?

Thanks!

I would recommend one. This is to help keep circulation through the Live Rock (That is if you have any) and keeping it from dying.

Also, Some corals do require some kind of current, some do not do that great without it.

What exact filter do you have?
What corals do you have now?
What corals do you plan on adding in the future?
How much rock do you have?

At the bare minimum you should have a strong powerhead blasting water behind the live rock, without this flow the live rock can't do its job of filtering. In addition you will probably need one other powerhead to get the main water column moving.

It's an AquaClear 50. I have Zoanthids, Green Finger leather, and a mushroom. I haven't given much thought to what corals I will add in the future. I have about 50 lbs of live rock.

Back
Top Bottom