water parameters ok for corals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deathmatch782

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
think my tank is finally done cycling
pH 8.2 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 10 Ammonia .25
Going to do a partial water change today. Also getting a snail to take care of the slight algae buildup that has occured. I'm using 2-55W PC lights.
Wondering after my water change will my parameters be good for some starter corals??
tia

What method did you use to cycle the tank? I ask because if you have an Ammonia reading then you are not cycled yet. Your Ammonia and Nitrite need to both be zero before adding anything to the tank. Any detectable level of either of those is toxic to fish, inverts, and corals.

Do you have LR in the tank? If so, how much? How long have you been cycling the tank?

tripper

I have heard many people on this site say that for a good shot at corals, your tank should be at least one year old. Maybe someone can confirm this. I would hate to see you lose money and coral at the same time. Also, I would definitely get the ammonia to 0.

That one year mark is normally the standard for anemones, corals can be added sooner. I agree that you shouldn't add anything, even a snail til the ammonia and nitrites are at 0. This is something you do not want to rush since it can cause you a good many headaches later on. Once there, then you can consider some corals. Personally though, I would wait til the tank is about 3mos old. This gives you time to get to know the needs of the tank, getting used to keeping the salinity and nitrate levels in check and on a good water change regimen.

There are a number of hardy corals that you can introduce to the tank just after it has cycled. You could go with some shrooms, zoos, leathers, etc. But I would not add any of these until you have your parameters in check which also means Nitrates below 10ppm.

tripper

I cycled w/ the fish method and its week 8 now. About ~30# LR 2 damsel 10 crabs and a snail are in my tank.
Nitirites are zero, Nitrate is 10 so that's fairly low, ammonia is the only thing im worried about.
A local guy was gonna help me setup some shrooms and zoo's. I've seen his setup and they look healthy, plus he's gonna sell them super cheap to me. But, I think I will wait until my ammonia lvl's are zero before i do anything w/ corals though.

What type of test kit are you using? If it's the Aquarium Pharmacueticals master kit, the ammonia can sometimes be hard to read and looks like there is ammonia when there isn't. I would test your water again just to be sure, maybe have the lfs test it to double check your numbers.

named the exact kit im using :) Aquarium Pharaceuticals Saltwater Master test kit
so the ammonia can show up as some in there, but may test otherwise on a different kit?

The problem I have with the AP kit is the first colors are very hard to determine depending on the lighting. I've had mine look different depending on time of day and how much sun light is in the room. I'm not saying you don't have any ammonia but I would have the water tested just in case. Also IMO, 10% water change really isn't enough. I would suggest 30%.

Back
Top Bottom