Water params problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anything I can do to help my poor pagoda :( ?

Ah, I did my first WC yesterday, I'll proceed to another 25% tonight, my 5g new saltwater is currently mixing with a powerhead.

Then i'll take mesurements of water chem, and dose.

I'll do an experiment by raising slowly my Mg to 1550ppm see if GHA dies...
The guy at the LFS told me to not go over 1700ppm, he told me one of his clients was at 2000ppm and corals were still healty.

I don't recall seeing any people saying that they overdosed and killed corals or fish, but I did see people saying it must be the Kent product...not just any mag additive will do.
The Pagoda Cup will come back if parameters are ideal.

I know you think you don't have a phosphate problem or nitrate problem because they are not testing high but 99% you do. My small tank crashed for 3 months corals dying gha everywhere. nitrate and phosphate testing zero with 2 kits. I got a phosban reactor and did some water changes bam gha Gone. You don't need a reactor but media bags would do you wonders.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I know you think you don't have a phosphate problem or nitrate problem because they are not testing high but 99% you do. My small tank crashed for 3 months corals dying gha everywhere. nitrate and phosphate testing zero with 2 kits. I got a phosban reactor and did some water changes bam gha Gone. You don't need a reactor but media bags would do you wonders.

I'm already dosing NOPOX, running GFO and Carbon also... NO3 and PO4 testing 0.

I think the GHA are coming from nutrients my rocks release... I recently bleached my rocks, cured/cycled them for 1 months, then rinsed them under saltwater, then put them back to the tank... GHA started 1 week after adding thoses bleached rocks. This is like if the GHA were feeding directly to the source (rocks) and the nutrients don't have the time to be released into the water column, so the readings are 0...

Anyways, I'm currently Doing two daily 25% water change, last one tonight...

For my Pagoda coral, the guy at the LFS told me maybe the "Seachem Reef Dip" (I already have this product at home) could help it revive.

I'm also running my R420R 60W 16000K° LED Lighting system for 8 hours total, including 4.5 hours at almost full power...

Sorry to hear you are having so many gha issues -Two water changes a day is a lot. In only two days you removed 100% of the water volume it's going to take time my large tank was
Covered in GHA. I peroxide dipped everything and cleared it all up. It hasn't come back since with regular monthly water changes. What skimmer are you running ? You can see the hair algae turning ghost white in picture 3
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421959265.470210.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421959335.344819.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421959356.311235.jpg ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421959128.413351.jpg

For my Pagoda coral, the guy at the LFS told me maybe the "Seachem Reef Dip" (I already have this product at home) could help it revive.
I doubt a dip is going to do anything at this point. I believe it was the low alk that is effecting the pagoda. Keep the alk stable and it should do better.

Nah I mean 25%WC one day, 25%WC the day after... So in two days...

The protein skimmer is rated for 50g to 90g, I have a 20g.

For the pagoda, then I won't do a dip, I'll not touch it, so less stress...

Tonight I'll buy Kent Tech-M, the underground community suppose there's a kind of heavy metal in this thing that kill GHA when boosting Mg > 1550ppm.

How can I boost my coraline growth ?

High calcium alk light and flow

500 is slightly high but it's about where it needs to be 420 is optimal -but it's not like you are under the preferred range and not insanely high maybe don't dose for a day or two days and see where it goes to.

Coraline algae growth is on a ramp that takes a while to get going and then is like a weed once it has started.

I'll test thoses parms soon, try to maintain this levels:

Alk: 8-9
Ca: 440
Mg: 1550 temporarly, then 1350ppm.

Does this seems ok ?

Can you ship me some by the postal service ^.^...

I bleached all my rocks, So I have no more coraline remaining... The only seed I have is what's left on the powerheads... My rocks are more covered by a kind of dark brown substance... (Don't think it's algae...)

Patience is a virtue nothing in this hobby that is good happens over night only bad things :( might be a little cyano or an algae the tank is clearly going through a change. Weekly water changes and then bi weekly should set your straight but it may take 2 months. For example my radions murdered half my sps (30 colonies) and it has taken 3 months to get about half of where I was at.

Mr x is on the money as usual if your power heads have purple that will be enough to start the process again.

With a bit of dosing and my 2x25%WC, params are now in range:

Alk: 8.4 dKH°
Ca: 425 ppm
Mg: 1360 ppm
Ph: 8.1
SG: 1.024 g/ml

Back
Top Bottom