Water pumps and things to know?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Electrobes

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I have just built a 29 gallon refugium, a protein skimmer (dimensions are 4 inches diameter by 20 inches high), and an overflow for my 45 Gallon tall tank. I will build a stand when I get back to college. In my posession I have an unused Rio 1400. I need a water pump for my return of the refugium and a pump for my skimmer. The skimmer is in the refugium so the pump doesn't have to pump far to get to the skimmer, and the main tank takes about 5.5 feet of tubing to get to the bottom of the refugium (where the return pump will be placed). What do I use the Rio 1400 for and what pump should I buy for whatever the Rio won't be used for?
Also how does one calculate head length (I take it its the amount of pressure needed to go against gravity)? Thanks!

On my refugium i used Maxi-jet 404or 406. They have adjustable flow.

Good Luck Dewey

your gonna need a nice size pump for your skimmer imo made one my self using a becket injector using a 4" pcv about 2' high and a mag drive 9.5 couldnt do it !! need like a mag 18 id think would do it guess it depends on how ya mixin ya air into the skimmer

I had a skimmer about that size and, using my DIY venturi, I got minimal results with a Mag 12. I'd say Steve is on target with the Mag 18 although some experimentation will be needed. If you oversize the pump, you can always put in a valve to cut the flow if needed. You might try the Rio as a return pump, but I don't think you'll be happy with the results. According to the info I have, the Rio 1400 flows 402 gph @ 0' head and the shut off is 6' of head. The best way to figure head pressure is to go to the pump manufacturers website and find the flow charts. Add up the height of the return...then add 1' head for every elbow in the line. Compare that to the flow chart and you'll be very close. The equation for figuring head is somewhat complicated and, although I can eventually muddle my way through it, there's no way I could explain it to someone else.

I don't think the Rio is going to work well with the size skimmer you outlined. It only flows 402 gph. I also don't think this pump will generate enough pressure to effectively drive either a beckett injector or a venturi. It won't cost you anything to try it though. The skimmer I was using was about 4"x26" and a Mag 12 @ 1200 gph wasn't really enough. For example, a Berlin Classic skimmer is 4"x12" not counting the cup and it needs a Mag 7 (700 gph) to really perform. JMHO.

man that makes no sense! I mean I am going to need a much stronger pump for my skimmer than my actual return!?

it might not to ya now but when ya hook it all up and its working ya understand why and it will be worth it !!! with my diy skimmer i used a mag 24 and split it to run the skimmer and return water to the main display !! and with the better water flowing skimmer i get about a gallon of skimmate every other day :) so worth it to me !!

Back
Top Bottom