Water Question?.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lbannie

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi Everyone....haven't been here in a while. New question: When I started my 30 gal tank (1 year ago! YAY!) I used water from the tap. We have a private well. I have to be honest, I didn't do PWC's as I should have and developed a lot of algae. So I started buying RO water from walmart. I've been religiously doing water changes every week 3-5 gallons. I've learned how important water changes are! So my question is that I bought a home water testing kit and tested my water......and the results are:
Bacteria = negative
Lead = negative
Pesticides = negative
Chlorine = 0
Nitrate = 0
Nitrite = 0
Copper = 0
Alkalinity = 180 ppm
Hardness = 3 grains (50ppm)
Ph = 8
Iron = 0

so.... do you think my water is safe to use?:confused:

Thanks guys:wave:

Get some quality sw test kits and test the water after it's been mixed to 1.025 (checked by a refractometer). for pH, Alk, Ca, PO4 (phosphate), nitrite and nitrate.

Home testing kits are meant to give you numbers safe for human consumption. Based on your current numbers I would say the water if OK. But what will the numbers be a month from now, or a year from now?
Well water comes from an underground aquifer. That aquifer could become contaminated upstream and the plum would travel down to you in time.

Your numbers seem to be from a simple lab test. In NJ a much more complete and complex lab test for known carcinogens must be done (on a sale of the home). That test cost ~$1,000.

Back
Top Bottom