Water safe paint?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brenden

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a piece on my aquarium that I am wanting to paint. The problem is that it will be submerged. I found some enamel paint at lowes that is for plastic. My question is if the paint drys for several days will it be safe for the water? or will dry enamel paint release something toxic into the water? Any help would be appreciated.

The overflow and the tank share the same interior wall. The overflow is molded directly to the tank. I am beginning to think I will be OK because there are tons of painted fake decorations out there.

the decorations use a specific type of paint but not sure what!!! Be careful, the drying process can leak out some unwanted chemicals until the paint is fully cured (up to a couple of weeks for some paints).

I used enamel. It has cured for 6 days. I have wiped it down several times. If it does release some unwanted substance not sure if it would do any damage due to it being 16"X 16" of painted surface and my total water capacity is over 600 gallons.

Back
Top Bottom