Wave Makers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wfate

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Any thoughts on the wave maker systems? I'm curious if the work well or not. Is it a "needed" item in a reef tank. I need more water flow and wondered if anyone had tried them.
Thanks!

I use a SCWD it directs incoming water to two alternating outputs, switching automatically at a rate depending on incoming pressure. I like it because it's quieter and it runs off the pump. No power needed. I have about 4 years on the one I'm running now, never had to clean or disconnect for any reason.

I have used a Natural Wave Pump Timer before I changed to Koralia pumps. The Koralia 4's don't work well with this wave maker.

If I had a spare grand I think I would try with a Koralia system. Dr Foster's appears to have a sale on the power heads at this time.

Then again for a lot less cash I could add to my existing pump and SCWD. Then I could run two.

Last edited:
I honestly know little about your setup. I know Carey and others have had great success with the koralias. I personally have two ecotech marine mp10s one my 40 breeder and couldn't be happier. I am upgrading them to wireless for all their features before going reef. It all just depends on what you want to do :)

Last edited:
Wavemakers are great for reef tanks. I have a tunze system and it is awesome. It is good to simulate natural wave currents from different directions for the corals

Wavemakers can be awesome, I currently just run regular old Koralias with no wavemaker though and my reefs are pretty happy. If I had the money I wou;d most likely get one though. :) It's not a necessity but it can be helpful.

carey said:
Wavemakers can be awesome, I currently just run regular old Koralias with no wavemaker though and my reefs are pretty happy. If I had the money I wou;d most likely get one though. :) It's not a necessity but it can be helpful.

Agreed, it's a lot more upfront, but the evidence is overwhelming that it can help in so many ways. I am glad that I did it to begin with.
Let us know what you decide!

Back
Top Bottom