We need to accept reality

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alarmguy66

Aquarium Advice Freak
Im tired of reading arguments about the curing of ich to the point that I have to add something.

Science is an evolving art. Laws of science are broken all the time. Eggs used to be bad for me, then they were good, then bad again, now good again. Bumblebees arent areodynamicly stable enough to fly, yet they do. Im sure everyone could add something to the list. Studies and numbers simply dont always speak the truth. "Laws" of science are more like riddles to be solved than fact.

That being said, *This postion of your post has been edited, it is in violation of the sites User Agreement*. I can drinkl JD all night and feel great in the morning. If I drink 4 beers mt head is killing me. I have a buddy that is the opposite. Do we tell each other that our preferred beverage is the right one? No. We know what works for us.

All I am asking is for us to all get along. If you have a way that works for you, share it with us newbies. There isnt any need to debunk others because of your opinion, no matter how much "evidence" you have to back it up. If smearing grape jelly on the fish works for you, thats great, just dont tell me that I cant cure ich with a chicken and a voodoo doll. I troubleshoot electronics, and I can tell you that electrical engineers are the worst people in the world when it comes to solving real world problems. Theory and reality just arent the same thing, no matter what their degree says, or what college they went to.

In closing this rant, I would like to say thank you to everyone who spends time helping people like me enjoy their aquarium and care for their fish. This has been a great hobby to start, and it brings my whole family together. *This postion of your post has been edited, it is in violation of the sites User Agreement*

I have edited the first post to remove the inflamatory remarks and have locked this thread. While I can certainly understand the frustration that some may feel about these debates, they are conducted in a civil manner and is the way we learn. It can also be the way we save fish.

I'll tell you a small story about ick. I had a pair of clowns that survived with visible ick for over a year with no treatment. I couldn't catch them and they were in a fully stocked reef, my feeleings were, they would die, I was not tearing up a reef that I had about 10K of my own money in for a 30.00 pair of clowns. They obviously forgot to read the part where fish got ick and died within a couple of weeks taking the rest of their tankmates with them, cause the stubborn little buggers just kept plugging. The ick was pretty ugly and detracting from my reef so when the "reef safe" cures hit the market I gave it a try. I used a particular brand that is a pepper derivitive, and low and behold it worked. 3 days into the treatment the fish were ick free and stayed that way for as long as I had the tank. It wasn't until the treatment was over that I realized how bad my math was and I had inadvertantly doubled the dose for my sized tank. This has been over 5 years ago, since that time I have not been able to reproduce the results with the same product using the same methods. Why?? There are tons of differences in each tank, some variable in my tank was just right for the cure to work, but not in other tanks, and for not anyone that I had offered the product as a possible yet improbable cure. There are much more consistant and reliable methods and those are what I recommend, I feel most everyone here does. If someone were to recommend the aforementioned product on this board I would make certain that the person were to understand just how reliable the product was. If someone were to suggest to you that you smear your fish with grape jelly to cure the ick...I would most likely ban that person unless it was obvious that that person were makeing a joke...and I do mean damn obvious because we do have members that do not have a good enough handle on the english language to recognize subtle humor. Please keep in mind that although you may not like the person giving you advice, or the way they are doing it, it does not make the advice any less valid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom