weird film on top of water *pics*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefmaster

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey, ive had this dirt looking film on top of my water. everything in my tank is fine even my live corals. I have a 30 gallon, 30-40 pounds of live rock 1 arc eyed hawkfish an anemone, clownfish, live coral, and cleaning crew. I did a water change about a week ago so it shouldnt be that dirty. could it be overfeeding? send me some ideas.

img_575191_0_ad0cddc0047bdb8dae9046824484f72f.jpg

img_575191_1_74606d8ae1956fbcdb1ce2c1ef508a77.jpg

Strange. Could it be dirt or dust blowing in on the surface since the top is not covered? Seems too much and too simple to be that. I get a lot of bugs and stuff in my water cos they are attracted to the lights....but you would be able to see that.

Its a protein build up. Do you have a skimmer? Adjust for a better skim if you do, and also adjust your overflow to skim the surface of the tank better.
If you dont have an overflow then point a PH or 2 at the surface to break it up.
Normal in a tank...

Are the PH off when taking this picture? if not you need a lot mor flow in the upper layer of the tank.

adjust flow or adjust skimmer if have one. water needs to break surface at all times to reduce this.

correct.

My main output was not disturbing the water surface.

When I adjusted for more flow uptop that problem dissapered.

I hate this film and I make sure none of my tanks have this. Some things that I do to prevent this is aim powerheads at the surface to help break the gunk, adjust my auto top off system to keep the water right at the optimal level for my surface skimmer, run carbon, and feed less.

move ur power heaqd up to the surface and let the water break thru the water, that will help out the problem. Cuz the ffile on top of the water surface is going to bring down ur oxygenm lvl of ur tank.

Back
Top Bottom