weird water problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spongeynip

Aquarium Advice Regular
ok, everything tested alright at my lfs, but my water is lookin weird. It used to be clear, but it looks kind of whitish. When i put it up to light, it was definitely noticable as a different color of white. nothing unusual, except that my protein skimmer shut off all day today, and suddenly this white problem. Anyone no what the problem is?

thanx
-trent

What type of setup do you have? Reef, FO, FOWLR? How long has the tank been set up? What are your water parameters? What is the last thing you did to the tank and when did you do it?

What type of water do you use? My tap water has a lot of calcium deposits, and that is the first thing that came to mind. It could be just cloudy since you added something recently. Give it a little time and see if it goes away.

Mike

I have heard of algae blooms making a white haze in the tanks water and then burning itself out as the nutrients are depleted. Dont know if this is your case but just an idea.

I have heard of algae blooms making a white haze in the tanks water and then burning itself out as the nutrients are depleted. Dont know if this is your case but just an idea.

I had this in my FW tanks and tried IN VAIN to clear it using flocs and water changes. After a while, I just let it go. It cleared up.

bacterial blooms, not algae, usually causes a whitish haze to the water.

It could also be calcium precipitating out of the water due to an imbalance in alkalinty, or magnesium.

Mine is clear now, too. For a while, it reminded me of the song "Smoke on the water", except of course it more closely remsembled smoke IN the water.

Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom