Well....I saw the Mantis in my tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BONESTOCK

Aquarium Advice Activist
I guess I gotta setup a ten gallon tank....

I woke up this morning and saw something move at the opening of a hole on one of the peices of live rock. I thought it was a large britle worm...but it popped out it's head...looked around and went back in!! :lol: Funny looking thing.....this one is red and the head was about 3/8 of an inch wide.
I'm going to setup the ten gallon with a DSB, a small filter, and liverock....
Is that okay....will the rock be okay with just a tube on the top?

Or should I go with the 20L and a 55W PC?

I guess I'm going to have to make sure I see it in the hole again and then replace the rock w/mantis in the new tank. Hopefully it's the only one.

Heh..thats funny. :p

The rock will be fine, but the coralline and any other growth on the rock will probably die off.

Remember to be careful when removing the rock...they dont call mantis "thumb splitters" because they are cute and cuddly.

Squishy

What I did to get mine out was take the piece of rock out that it was hiding in, dip in in warm fresh water and he swan right out, I then netted him and put him in the 10 gallon tank. I don'r see him much but I hear the clicking noise he makes every once in awhile.

Yikes! I just read up some about those, what a little monster! Big ones can generate force roughly equivalent to a .22 caliber 8O

I would be scared of my tank getting cracked :(

I just saw my first one as well. I guess I cant get all the good without some bad. I have a book called Reef Invertebrates and it states that mantis have a bad wrap & that they can be benefical but do suggest having a species only tank if you are keeping them.. Mine is not staying that long. I have a Ultra Life X-Terminator trap. Has anyone had any luck with these???

Back
Top Bottom