Went on vacation and came home to some missing tankmates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djmpj2

Aquarium Advice Freak
We went on a 1 week vacation and hired someone to come feed the fish every other day. We measured out the food servings ourselves and showed her how to feed (she was experienced with fish). We have the lights on a timer. When we got home our coral beauty was missing. Although we were sad, we weren't terribly surprised at that. We did not find her body. We have lost about 3 fish in the year we've had the tank and NEVER found any of their bodies. We assume their carcases are gobbled up. However, way more surprising is the fact that our pistol shrimp has not been seen in the 2 weeks since we've returned. He's never been out of sight for more than 48 hours. We've had this guy since the day we got our liverock. (1 year ago). I thought they were near invincible. Any ideas? We miss him.

DJ

Have you tested the water? Don't know how that can solve your mystery, but I'd be curious to see how the feeding - or disappearing fish may have affected your 'trates.

Otherwise, between the emerald, peps, hermits, urchins, and CC star, there's plenty to take care of any carcasses I'd think. You'll probably never see any bodies in there.

Also, my bet is that the pistol will show up. :wink:

I agree about the pistol shrimp, and with a good cleanup crew that is doing their job, bodies should not last more than a half day.

As for the death, I have seen tanks in tip top condition lose inhabitants, so don't be discourged over a few deaths a year. I know it sucks but things just happen sometimes. The best you can do is provide your friends with enough space and good quality water.

Yeah. Any update? Pistol shrimp show up yet? Maybe now you can get him a goby to pair up with. With a lookout, and since he's blind, you may see him more. That's probably why he's so shy. Almost, if not totally blind ya know. I guess if I was blind, I'd probably come out more too if someone was telling me it was OK to do so. :wink:

The pistol shrimp has not shown up but we still hear clicking! Isn't that weird? it's been 3 weeks. He's never been out of sight for more than a day. I had no idea he was blind! How come we have to sit perfectly still not to chase him away? One false move from his human audience and he disappears like a shot.

I guess we are lucky but every time a fish disappears out water parameters stay fine. Maybe they are eaten so quickly by all the snails, crabs and the shrimp they don't have time to cause the water to be tainted?

DJ

Back
Top Bottom