Went to the beach...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Biggen

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I went out to the beach today in search of collecting some LS. I really wanted to seed my 40 gallon even though I had already bought the Inland Aquatic LS detrivore kit. Went out about 100 yards, dove to the bottom, and collected a cup of sand off the bottom. Sand was very clean and had a very fine particle size. I would say it was <.25mm.

It was a blue plastic cup so I couldn't see the side of the sand so I looked through the top but couldn't see any movement at all. I assume if anything was in the sand, it was probably buried down inside the cup.

I guess time will tell if it worked. Can you guys actually look at the sand in your tanks and see the animal life in it? It has been a week since I added the Inland Aquatic kit and I can't see a thing. I fed them when I first put them in and have fed everyday since then. I do have hermits and two fish in the tank so in feeding those guys, I would assume the critters would be able to get food as well. I guess it just hasn't been long enough for them to reproduce yet.

you'll probably only be able to see them at night, most of your sand fauna are nocturnal (cause everything eats them). How did you add the detrivore kit? Most people I've seen recommend placing a bowl over the area of sand where you put the fauna for protection.

How did you add the detrivore kit? Most people I've seen recommend placing a bowl over the area of sand where you put the fauna for protection.

Well I called up Inland Aquatics and they pretty much told me to just dump the kit in. So that is what I did. Turned off the PH's and put it in the tank. At the time I had no fish or hermits in the tank so I am pretty sure they made it to the bottom ok.

I am never in the store at night, so it is possible they are active then. Maybe I need to make a trip up there in the evening.

i get my best look at those nasty little buggers when i turn the lights on in the am just keep your eyes on the sand...p.s. you may wish you had'nt 8O

Back
Top Bottom