Wet/Dry Filter - Whats the best ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zimbra

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Setting up a 75 gallon FOWLR tank with the intention on moving to full reef in the future...what are the best wet/dry filters that you guys have experience with...I like them to look nice too...lol...any suggestions ???

I'd actually recommend doing a DIY sump/refugium for a reef, but anything is fine for FOWLR. The reason why I don't really recommend a wet/dry filter is that it's kind of an old way of filtering. The bioballs can cause an increase of nitrates over time if they aren't cleaned. I guess fostersmithaquatics.com has some good ones...don't really know which brand is best. I bought a 5 gallon bag of bioballs for a sump I was setting up and after finding out that there were better ways of filtration I sold the bioballs and went with the sump/refugium.

Thanks Obscure...I was looking at the ProFlex models by Aqueon...they are versatile to different methods...do you have any DIY ideas or plans that don't require alot of tools?

I had my LFS do a custom sump for me as I didn't want to mess things up if I did it myself (and they used glass sheets). All you'll need is aquarium safe silicone, a glass tank, and some polycarbonate sheets from Homedepot.com or some place. You might be able to ask them to cut it to the length you want if you don't have the tools for it. You also need a tool to make sure things are level & straight (don't know the name of this tool :(). You can look up some different designs and methods of making them online, or youtube has a lot of vids about DIY sumps...heard they are pretty easy, MUCH cheaper, and you can make them any way you want!

Back
Top Bottom