wet/dry filter's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishDan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hello all I have a 55G tank. What wil be a good wet/dry filter to put on it. o_O its ben up and runing for over a year now. Looking to go to reef with it .Right now im looking at a aquacler pro series wet/dry filtration. Is this a good filter. What about that eheim wet/dry filter. They both look good to me. But im still lost on the wet/dry filtration. thanks :)

if ya want to go reef dodge the wet dry totally :)
all you need is a deep sand bed and live rock and a good skimmer :)

I agree.. put the money towards lighting or a skimmer instead.

What have you been running for the last year?

Ok i have about 2 In of sand bed. i have 90 bl's of LR and i use a fluval 404 with no filter media just to move the water. I have no skimmer. I here that wet/dary is the way to go with reef tanks. LOL thats why i hade to post about. is best to remove the fluval and go wit ha powerhead? Thanks for all the help.

The fish store that wants to sell you a $500 filter thinks a wet/dry is the way to go for a reef. The rest of the world thinks otherwise.

Get a couple of good powerheads too. Look to do a water turnover rate of 550gph or more. Don't skimp on a skimmer, they are they best protection you can have

I would add a couple of powerheads, as advised above, and keep the Fluval running as is for circulation. It makes a good place to run some activated carbon from time to time as well. Bear in mind that the 550 gph is a minimum...you can have much more flow...the more the better up to a point. I wouldn't exceed 1500 gph in a 55 gal tank. Maxi Jet powerheads are proven performers and I would recommend them if you buy more powerheads. For a skimmer, assuming you don't intend to add a sump to the tank, I would go with an Aqua C Remora with the Maxi Jet pump. Stay away from Prizms and SeaClones. A good skimmer will benefit your tank much more than a wet/dry IMO.

I want to go to a reef just to avoid a wet/dry. The last thing I want after a day's work is to come home and find 30 gallons of saltwater on the rug, a burned up motor, or my house burned to the ground.

Back
Top Bottom