wet/dry vs canister

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

do you recommend a wet/dry or canister for a 55g FOWLR

• wet/dry

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • canister

• either

• Total voters

zman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
sorry in advance if I'm opening up a religious debate, but it IS Christmas after all!

I'm setting up a new 55g FW tank for my wife, but am scheming to convert it over to salt in a year or two. Let's not get into that issue right now, suffice it to say she's a great lady and is open to this conversion of her tank! :D

So what filtration system should I invest in today that will work for tomorrow so that I don't have to purchase a new one? I am currently looking at 2 Eheim filters - the 2235 canister (~$100) and the 2227 wet/dry canister (~$200). will the cheaper 2235 work for my smaller 55g salt tank of the future, or will I just be replacing when I get serious about a salt water tank? Initially, I would probably go simple with a FO (maybe FOWLR), but would love to move into live coral / reef critters as I gain experience.

Opinion anyone? TIA

Well You could do a number of things, I preferably would have liked to have gotten sump instead of a canister filter. But I was naive at the fact that i was going for saltwater! With a sump you could even creat a mini planted tank (a refugium) for freshwater or satlwater (typically used in saltwater). Also with a sump it gives more water to the system which is always always great! On top of that you can put your machinery in there, like a heater, grounder, etc... and when you have a saltwater tank having the portein skimmer in the sump is a lot easier. Anyway just my two cents

Of the two you listed I wouldnt get either. I would instead elect for a classic wet/dry filter style unit. The reason is you can easily convert this to a simple sump if/when you decide to go reef. Going with the canister will be a bad idea and going with a canister style wet/dry is also not a good idea since it cant be made into a simple sump like a standard wet/dry unit.

I would probably just Go salt right away why wait a year and then have to get rid of all the FW you had aquired..If it's knowledge your worried about heck bang around in here for while they will put you on the right track and are great about all your questions..That being said I have a cannister on my SW along with 50lbs of LR in a 55 gallon so I guess I will vote Cannister ... however you will need a bigger one..

Doan

Back
Top Bottom