What About Water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mcquillian

Aquarium Advice Regular
So after several months and a few bad experiences, my salt water tank is finally doing well. I do have one subject that I would like some input on however - water.

My current set up is as follows:

30 gallon Oceanic Systems fish only tank with Biosand. I have (1) Koran Angel, (1) Red Flame Hawkfish, (2) Damsels, (2) Cleaner Shrimp, and (1) Horseshoe Crab. I have no intention of adding additional fish, as the current group of fish are healthy and appear to be stress free.

My tank is filtrated by a Penguin 170 BioWheel, and I have a SeaClone 150 Protein Skimmer.

So here is my question:

Based upon this set up, how often should I plan on changing the water and how much should be replaced. Is 10% the standard?

The reason I ask is that there seems to be quite a variety of opinions regarding water changes. I am looking for input from anyone who has had success with a smaller tank like mine.

I greatly appreciate your time regarding this issue. Thank you for your cooperation.

You are right in the fact that there are many opinions on water changes. However, for a smaller tank more frequent changes will be needed. Water changes add essential trace elements back into the water that are depleted. They also do a noce job of keeping nitrates in check. For your tank, I would tink three gal every other week would be just fine. Lando

I would base it on the water parameters.. what are your levels?

Atari,

You jogged my memory regarding my OTHER question. What Test Kit or Test Strips do you reccommend? I have a Nitrite Test Kit (Nutrafin) that I have been using. (Latest measurement shows Nitrite levels below 0.1mg/L NO2) Other than that, I have been taking water samples to my LFS for measurements. Thanks for your advice.

My personal preference is for Salifert test kits. I would get at least the Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate ones for now.

Your Ammonia and Nitrites should be 0. If you are able to detect any of these then something is out of whack in the tank or you simply do not have enough filtration. Nitrates should be kept as low as possible, and you would use water changes to achieve this. Regular testing will give you some idea on the kind of schedule you need to adhere to.

I really like SeaChem test kits, and ordered their marine basic kit, and calcium 'reef status' kit from drsfostersmith.com
I have a ton of FW kits, some of which work on SW, some don't. SeaChem has proven to be a very reliable brand for me, and with the overall cost of my SW setup, $40 for some good kits was worth it.

Back
Top Bottom