What are some of the most rare salt water fish out there?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

66deuce

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What kind of fish are the rarest for aquariums? New to the hobby and just was curious.

Actually, the rarest fish is the Clownfish. Not just any clown fish, a black and white Clownfish with an orange face. My LFS had some come in on some live rock one time. The owner said that you cannot hardly find these in the ocean anymore. (Or quite possibly, at all. I don't quite remember. Story still applies.) He says that local colleges have offered him big money for the tank they are in (If I remember correctly around 4000 for the whole shebang.) He still won't sell it.

It is kinda sad, because the colleges could be trying to help this poor species out.

I do apologize if I am misinformed about these beautiful fish. (I hope that I am not. :roll:)

PhishPhreak said:
Actually, the rarest fish is the Clownfish. Not just any clown fish, a black and white Clownfish with an orange face. My LFS had some come in on some live rock one time. The owner said that you cannot hardly find these in the ocean anymore. (Or quite possibly, at all. I don't quite remember. Story still applies.) He says that local colleges have offered him big money for the tank they are in (If I remember correctly around 4000 for the whole shebang.) He still won't sell it.

It is kinda sad, because the colleges could be trying to help this poor species out.

I do apologize if I am misinformed about these beautiful fish. (I hope that I am not. :roll:)

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=21&pCatId=1114

You talking about that fish?

Heh, my LFS has hundreds of those.. they are tank bred and very cheap.

Atari said:
Heh, my LFS has hundreds of those.. they are tank bred and very cheap.

?!?!?!

Those specific fish?

Not Clarkii's, but True black and whites?!?!

OMG!

I've been looking for months for them and can find them no where!

Their all in the UK, thats why! :'(

My tank has been without fish since I got it cause I can't find these ellusive, yet beautiful little buggers..

Darn.. if I visit the states anytime soon I'll see about bringing a pair for ya, William :wink:

Atari said:
Darn.. if I visit the states anytime soon I'll see about bringing a pair for ya, William :wink:

I've talked to 5 LFS who talked with about 20 suppliers each, numerous websites, voodoo rituals, ect ect.

Those fish are rare in America.

Tho I do remember reading up on them, that it mentioned that they were popularly tankbred in the UK. Now that I've had a moment to think.

well i have seen the same fish in the fish store many times. i think in one place it was 120 for the pair (but that is the same store that tryed to get my to pay 100 for a parir of clown fish) but the other lfs that had them i think they were like 40 for one. if not less. i see them more and more. i really like them

but as to the question i think the most $$ fish i have seen was a pair of seahorse. they were 500 for the pair but that was before they knew they were endangerd. now they have not idea what to price them. (they were just put on the lsit so they could still sell them) last time i heard fromt hem they were thinking maybe over 1,000 for the pair but what do you price some thing like that?

Yes, how did they come in on live rock? I had no idea they could survive- unless your LFS ships LR in a completely different manner than mine... ours come in bags with little water in the bottom and soaked papers to keep the tops moist

jamal-188 said:
Clarion angel, at my work our cost was over $2K!!

Thats because these fish come from mexican waters and cannot be legally caught or shipped to U.S. Its very rare that they would even make it to your store, and they could probably get in a lot of trouble for selling them.

BBReef said:
jamal-188 said:
Clarion angel, at my work our cost was over $2K!!

Thats because these fish come from mexican waters and cannot be legally caught or shipped to U.S. Its very rare that they would even make it to your store, and they could probably get in a lot of trouble for selling them.

I've never heard this before as they are on price lists every once in a while from a few suppliers. You can usually find them on ebay as well.

I don't know about rare but hard to find in my area is the Male Scott's Fairy Wrasse a beautiful fish. I have only seen 2 and bought 1. He jumped through a small gap in my tank top one day :cry:
I could find one on line but I like to see the fish before I buy them. I have seen some of the black and white clowns, the LFS in my area had a total b/w with no orange very cool and not for sale.
How about the Black Tang..... I have only seen 2 of these guys ... very nice fish.

Back
Top Bottom