What ate my fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fualku

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had a little clown fish for about a week. I have kept a bunch of snails, a few emerald crabs, CBS, pepermint shrimp, and BTA for a couple of months. I finally got my first fish which was a percula clown. He was doing really good and eating a ton. yesterday i noticed he was gone. I looked all over and he as not shown up, so my only conclusion is that somehting ate him. I saw my CBS go after him a few times but the clown is just way too quick for him. Is this likely. Anything in there that would be considered overly dangerous for him...I would like to get him replaced, but i don't want the same things happening again.

I doubt someone ate him. More likely he died and the clean up crew polished him off.

Check your water parameters and make sure everything is ok

This was my first salt water fish, but i have and still keep alot of fresh water fish. I keep the water quality high, but anything is possible. That aside, is there anything in the tank that would likely be an obvious danger to a small fish.

And the water quality

Amonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate between 10-20
salinity 1.024
dkh close to 10
ph 8.3

Do you have live rock? Sometimes nasty hitchhikers (rock crabs and such) can be in your tank and you won't even know it. Take a look at night.
I have a BIG crab that I am having trouble catching, I suspect that he is the reason my Scooter Dragonette vanished. :(

I had caught a mantis a little while back. The only crab that i was a little worried about was one of my emerald crabs. He started growing real fast and is about 2-3 inches across. All the other hitchhiker crabs are only a half inch across or less. The other one i was worried about was the coral banded shrimp. He did show some interest in the clown from the moment i put him in, but i dismissed it because the little perc was too quick for the shrimp. Do you think a bigger fish would hold up alot better? I think i have seen those clowns about 2-3 inches in the LFS. Mine was tiny.

I would still check it out after dark. My "little" hitchhiker crab was only a speck when he got in my system. He is 2-3" now, 6 months later.
Could have gotten him while he slept. These predators seem to come out more at night. Maybe you should set a trap for awhile and see what you catch.
A bigger fish may fare better.
Sorry for your loss. :(

Back
Top Bottom