What brand to get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gboy66

Aquarium Advice Addict
Im looking at getting a refractometer and heater for my 30 gallon tank for christmas, but am not sure what type to get! I am also wondering if for my 30 gallon sw tank i should buy reguler rodi water, premade sw, or a rodi unit. Which one is best, and what are te best brands for reef salt (if i was to make my own sw), and an rodi! Thanks all!

TLTGF said:
Refractometer that I have:

Salinity Refractometer 0-10% ATC Aquarium Salt Water | eBay

RODI unit that I have:

0PPM Portable 100GPD Reverse Osmosis RO+DI Filtration | eBay

As for a reef salt:

Saltwater Aquarium Salt: Aquarium Systems Instant Ocean & Reef Crystals Synthetic Sea Salt

I get the 200gal box, some like 160gal buckets. Free shipping.

As for heater, I believe Fluval, and Ebo Jager are popular brands, mine is a german brand that I can't thing of.

Hm nice!!! For a 30 gallon how much salt? So do you think i should go for the rodi, and not buy water?

I'd get your own rodi unit. It will pay for itself over time. If you have the $, i'd get the box. It's a better deal.

AquaRick said:
I'd get your own rodi unit. It will pay for itself over time. If you have the $, i'd get the box. It's a better deal.

The 65$ one? Id ask for it for christmas, so i wouldnt have to spend

The box of 200gal of salt is $53.99. The bucket is 52.99 for 160gal. It is a better deal to get the 200gal.

Even though you only have a 30 gallon tank, you will need salt for water changes. You figure a (5) gallon water change per week would be good. Therefore 200-30=170 / 5 = 34 weeks (8.5 months) worth of salt.

I like the RO/DI unit I have. Mr. X recommends one that's about $129, but he stated that it is more efficient, has better filters, and uses less waste water. I can't remember the model though, maybe PM him if you're interested.

TLTGF said:
The box of 200gal of salt is $53.99. The bucket is 52.99 for 160gal. It is a better deal to get the 200gal.

Even though you only have a 30 gallon tank, you will need salt for water changes. You figure a (5) gallon water change per week would be good. Therefore 200-30=170 / 5 = 34 weeks (8.5 months) worth of salt.

I like the RO/DI unit I have. Mr. X recommends one that's about $129, but he stated that it is more efficient, has better filters, and uses less waste water. I can't remember the model though, maybe PM him if you're interested.

Agreed nice math lol! So for ro units, you need filters? How long fo they last? Expensive?

I have a 150gpd from Filter Direct (store is on eBay) and I think I paid around $140 for mine. The life of the filters vary on your tap water's TDS. Where I live, my numbers are really high, so my filters last about 7months with regular use, and there's a lot of waste water. If you have good, clean water going into your home, your filters can last up to 18 months (probably not the DI resin though).

Here are some things to look for in a good system for this hobby:

No more than 4 stages (sediment, carbon, RO, DI) unless you have specific water quality issues you want to address
Standard-sized prefilters, membrane, and DI cartridge
Brand name, high-rejection membrane (96%+)
Specifications provided for each stage
Pressure gauge after the prefilters and before the membrane
Thermometer
TDS meter (handheld or in-line)
DI bypass
Vertical DI stage
Refillable DI cartridge
Aluminum bracket
Quick connect fittings
No water from pressurized storage container delivered to DI
Flush valve
Clear housings
High-quality instructions written in clear English
Customer support before, during, and after your purchase
A vendor involved in your hobby

Russ

For the reef salt, do i get the reef or instant ocean? And how many gallon? I have a 30 gallon and dont want to get way too much

As long as you plan to do corals I would recommend reef salt. As for how much... I'd still go with the 200 gallon box. Unless you plan to stop the hobby soon, it's the best deal and it doesn't take up a lot of room. The full box weighs 57lbs, but there are 4 or 5 bags in each box. I took a picture with the refractometer on top for scale - not that big.

TLTGF said:
As long as you plan to do corals I would recommend reef salt. As for how much... I'd still go with the 200 gallon box. Unless you plan to stop the hobby soon, it's the best deal and it doesn't take up a lot of room. The full box weighs 57lbs, but there are 4 or 5 bags in each box. I took a picture with the refractometer on top for scale - not that big.

That isnt too big at all. Im just not sure where id store it haha. I will he out of the hobby in 2.5 yrs (college) so iv got a while! :D

Back
Top Bottom