What bulbs to get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skip_16157

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am looking right now to order a VHO retrofit set from hellolights.com. They have a 48" 4 bulbs setup that I am going to buy. I was planning to get 2 Coralife 10,000k's and 2 Coralrife Actinic's. They also have URI bulbs. Not sure what to get. I have never heard of URI and I have only used Coralife's for about 6 weeks. Any suggestions? Here is the website address for what I want to buy. Click on the drop down arrows and they list te bulbs. I have a 55 gal. tank (48" wide). I currently have percula's, Y. tang and Condy Anem. I plan to get a Dwarf lion and down the road a L.T. anem. Corals are not a big concern.
According to the websites the 10,000k's have a more blue/white result where as the Coralife Trichomatic are a full spectrum 6,500 Kelvin. Should I get these instead since the actinic's will provide the blueness or do I want to have more blue than white?

http://www.hellolights.com/4lamvhoretki2.html
http://www.esuweb.com/new_site/marine_flour.php (Coralife's website)

Ant suggestions to a better site to buy from?

Thanks

Well, I recommend the URI bulbs, they are waaaayyyyy better than coralife bulbs. URI has been around for along time and they make the best (IMHO) flouresceant bulbs available for the aquarium industry. As to what combo I would go with....
1X Aquasum
1X Actinic White (50/50)
2X Super Actinics (.03 actinic)

I just talked to the Hellolights rep. and he suggested the super actinics over the coralife actinics and he said to get the 10,000k's because he said that the URI's have more of a pink color where as the 10,000k's are a crisp white. That would be two of each. I see that you mention a mixture. This setup only comes with one ballast? Does that matter?

Any thoughts on that?

This setup only comes with one ballast? Does that matter?

No, it just means you won't be able to simulate a dawn/dusk effect with your vhos. I don't know if it is beneficial or not, I have never read anywhere where not splitting the light up was detremental.

The coralife bulds IMO have a green tint to them, and to be honest, you couldn't give me a coralife bulb. They are not very good quality. The Aquasun will have a slight pink tint to it, but should be overcome by the actinics and the actinic white. You could go with 2X actinic white, but a double phosphur bulb will degrade faster than a single phosphur bulb, and need to be replaced more often.

If it were me, I would take reefrunners advice. I would always trust a fellow, successful reefer over a retailers advice. If you have any doubt about reefrunner, just take a look at his pics. Not to mention, he has been in the hobby for over 10 years. JMO. :D

His advice has already been very successful for me, but I just wanted to make sure and get the right stuff. That's why I responded back with a reply to his comments. I've never had to emphasize so much on buying light bulbs.

So I will get 2 super actinics, 1 aquasun and 1 actinic white. Correct.

I've never had to emphasize so much on buying light bulbs.

I can totally sypathize. I got a new MH bulb and some PC true actinics a few weeks ago. I got some seriously funny looks when people asked me what I got for Christmas and I told them "Light bulbs."
jump.gif

If you'll look at these two threads, you can see my ordeal with finding the "right" bulb, experience helps quite a bit....but a bit of luck is also a good ingredient as well
nut.gif

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=1401

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=1640

So do I have the correct bulbs listed above that I should buy. Also I looked at your pics. What's the benefit of a MH bulb? Am I buying the sufficient lighting or do I need to save for another better scenario?

Back
Top Bottom