What can I do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

craig1560

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm fairly new to saltwater aquariums, and I just love it. My 20 gal. tank is composed of 2 clowns and 1 YWG. Lately, I've had a brown algae/diatom bloom all on my sand and rock, and quite frankly it's pretty nasty looking. I hear this is just a process that the tank will go through, but what can I do to get rid of it as quick and efficient as possible? I do NOT have access to RO water, and my lights are only on for about 4 hours a day. I also use Instant Ocean salt too. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Craig

Welcome to AA! :)

A diatom filter, but I'm afraid that you will forever be chasing some variety of algae until you start using RODI. Do you have access to a Walmart / Grocery store? The machines that dispense water would likely be a large improvement.

I do have access to both. But from what I understand RO water comes from a filter systemt that would cost me a fortune. I'm just a college student and have been doing my water changes with distilled water.

Thanks for the welcome as well! I'm learning a lot here!

I started without an RODI filter of my own as well and used water from the local store. It measured almost as good as the water that I make now with an RODI filter. A couple food safe jugs and a weekly trip and you should be good to go for around 30 cents a gallon. Plus you won't have to worry about the waste water from the filter or replacing membranes.

Welcome to AA... (y)..

First you don't want anything in this hobby to start off quick- :).. Usually doing things quickly can became not so great in the end... Be patience and let the Diatoms die off by itself. If you are still cycling I would cut the lights off to a minimal. Also if you can I would suggest investing in a RO/DI unit- you can get one for cheap around $60 or $80. HTH...

Thanks guys. Appreciate it. So I guess all I can really do is sit back and watch? Maybe keep the lights to a minimum?

IME, yes. My tank went through the brown stage, followed shortly by the green stage, then the red slime stage, and then finally got to the I love to look at it stage. lol

Like Tank said, nothing good happens fast in SW. Don't feel bad though, Mother Nature has been working on the reefs a lot longer! ;)

I have just gone through the stages with my 55gal and now is when its starting to get nice just give it time.

Besides that just up your cleaning crew (snails, hermits)

I just got myself a sea hare and i love the way he cleans!!!

I mave mixed feelings on sea hares in aquaria...

They do a great job on algae, but they also get sucked into intakes and killed pretty easily which can foul a tank. If all intakes are covered well, just make sure to "loan" it out or trade it in when there is no longer a supply of algae.

Back
Top Bottom