What cleanup guys do I nead.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pain Devine

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, so here's where I'm at. I've got a 16 gallon main tank with an overflow down to a 20 gallon refugium. The fuge was supposed to be 16 gallons like the main tank, but I made some arithmetic mistakes and it's too late to change it now... lol

Anyways, I have a variable flow pump on the way that's supposed to be 0-200Gal/hr. I have a bunch of live sand, a bunch of dead sand and a bunch of crushed coral. I plan on mixing it to use as substrate for both tanks. I figured the mixture would be a lot more 'reef-like' than just all of one or the other. I haven't got the protein skimmer yet, I'm going to wait and test the water to see what I get out of it. Some say I'll need it, some say I wont... I'll let the test kit tell me.

I'm going to fill the tank and let the plumbing run for about a week once I get the pump to test it, but after that I plan on getting some live rock, plants for the fuge, snails, crabs, and eventually fish.

Should I put the live rock in and let it run for a while before I put in the plants? What plants should I get? This is a visible tank so I want them to be relatively cool looking plants.

When should I put in the clean up guys? and what should I get for each tank and how many?

I have no idea what fish I'm going to get. The only ones that I've seen that I definitely would like to get were labeled "Blue Devil" at the LFS. But I dunno if they are good fish or not.

Thanks!

Cool, those are good prices... but how many do I need? I surely don't need 150. and what about crabs? and shrimp?

i will never add anything with claws in my tanks !! so no hermies imo
for your size tank id say add :
mabe 2 star snails their cool lookin
id call them they are very nice people and will work out a deal for ya im sure mabe go 12-20 total for now and see if they wwill mix and match the following
4---nerite
4---nassarius
4-bumbles
6---golden astreas

as far as shrimp there is nothing like the cleaners imo to mush funnnnnnnnn :)

Not sure why scuba_steve is scared of some little crabs. :)

Here is my recommendation:

1 Hermit per gallon (mix them up, although I prefer Blue Legs)
1 Snail per gallon (mix them up)
1 Shrimp per 5 gallons (Peppermints are awesome for the price, Cleaners are good but $20+)
1 Emerald Crab per 5 gallons (I normally put more than that)
1 Sally Light foot (really cool to watch)

I just bought a few queen conch but I will wait before recommending them.

I am not a pro but to be honest I would recommend 1 emerald crab if that for your tank... I have mine in a 55 and he is rocking and rolling but I think 16 would be a mess unless you wanted a crab tank 8) perhaps your living room could be converted to a seafood joint...jk

doan

I have 3 neon damsels, they grow large and like most damsels, they are aggressive. The largest of the group right now is about 4". They are really cool looking when they are young and they maintain their looks but I'm thinking about moving them to a different tank at this point, if I can catch them. Damsel's wouldn't be my first choice unless you have a new tank.

Not sure why scuba_steve is scared of some little crabs.

astride13 its not about being scared !! it all about any thing with claws is/will gonna kill something ya wanted to keep in your tank !!! snails/worms what not !!
emeralds are great when small but they grow and get big and can catch sleeping fish !!
crabs are great if that what ya like but if ya want things to go peaceful dodge the crabs imo !! also go less on the clean up crew and add more if need be !! why buy 30 if all they gonna do is clean up everything in a few days then to starve later !!

Back
Top Bottom