What coral should i get next?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If your lighting is up to sps, try the cap montipora.
What is your lighting?

Where did you read the 3 watts each? I couldn't find anything about wattage.
But marineland doesn't have a very good reputation in the reefing world, so I'm not sure it would keep sps.

Well generally LEDs are around 3 watts and these ones are super bright and its on a five gallon tank so I think it could support sps. I mean its a lot of light trust me, the light is also rated for a 30 gallon tank.

DeathclawRowe1 said:
Well generally LEDs are around 3 watts and these ones are super bright and its on a five gallon tank so I think it could support sps. I mean its a lot of light trust me, the light is also rated for a 30 gallon tank.

LEDs range in watts, marine land has lots of fixtures that are like .3 or .5 LEDs.
I'm thinking because of the price, it's a freshwater light, that could light a 30 gallon.

Technically it is a FW light but I don't see why you can't use it for SW

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe ill postpone a coral purchase for now. But so far all my corals have been doing awesome

I also think its for fresh water - the watts value does matter in salt water, regardless of the size tank. Corals need a certain par reading to survive (particular wavelengths) I am no expert by any means and there is a science to reef lighting that is sometimes beyond me but I believe this light would not support SPS so I would stick to LPS and softies.

I looked up par for sps and it ranges from 500-800 and my light supports 990 par according to marine lands website so idk maybe ill try it sometime and see how it goes.

sorry that marinland light wont support sps , be lucky if it can handle softies
I started with that exact light it was worthless
the second light you show is a nice light but it don't give full coverage its only 6 inches
I have one over my 37
for sps you would need a light with these kind of specs

img_2518666_0_972d8ed30242dabc35585523a8287b1c.jpg

img_2518666_1_51e5451be36d0e694fe3006af85393f0.jpg

Dimmable LED Aquarium Light 120W Coral Reef Tank White Blue Grow Light 55x3 Watt | eBay

I would strongly go with the LEDs that seaweed suggested but you could also go t5

Back
Top Bottom