What could have done this ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coralbandit

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all ,I had my reef running for over 5 years in a 75g with an overflow.
A couple of months ago I switched my reef to a 120 and proceed to 're hab ' the 75 for other use.
To be honest after removing almost all the water and sub from the 75 I pushed it up the stairs from my fishroom to clean with hose outside and noted that the tank appeared to leak a couple drops of water while I pushed it ..
I thought nothing of it ,but I did notice it.
I cleaned tank and had it resting dry since.The tank has been indoors and nothing has got into it since [ie mouse??] .
I filled the tank the other week to test before really getting into new build and found the tank did in fact leak !:facepalm:
I drained the tank and really am at a loss for what I see... :confused:
It looks like a mouse chewed on some of the silicone in some spots and also has 'pin holes' in the silicone all generally in the same area...
Could a conch or some other type of invert had chewed on this silicone while the tank was in use and by removing all the crap on bottom I opened it up ?
I really think something in the reef tank [had several mantis shrimp from live rock in the beginning] has done this damage..I am also surprised I never really noticed it when 're habbing' tank as I was right down in it removing the built in overflow ...:whistle:
Anyone ever hear of an invert eating the silicone before ????
I think it was my conchs as they spend a lot time submerged in the sub [still even today in the 120 ! :eek: ]
Here are 3 pics .Penny next to damage in 2 and damage is in vertical seam in other pic .
a8qKCgal.jpg

9XO4G7pl.jpg

BICIfE9l.jpg

The tank leaked very little slowly from bottom seam and only barely filled the bottom band enough to overflow and me to notice.The water also 'wicked out' where the manufacturing label is as the paper breaks the seal drop by drop...Tanks is 13 years old ...It leak so little I am lucky to have noticed but it was leaking .....:nono:

The aquarium repair is not to show you how to repair. I already know you know how to do that. This is a pic of the different seals of silicone and what it looks like and why.

Back
Top Bottom