What do I get rid of and what do I keep from LR?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

33w_fish_guy

Aquarium Advice Regular
My shipment should be coming in today and I am very interested in getting my hands wet, but before I start I wanted to ask if there is somewhere I can go to identify the critters that I find so I know which ones to get rid off and which ones to keep. I was planing is just rinsing the LR and attempt to identify sponges, dead spots and remove them. I realized that I will have no clue at what Im looking at. Can you guy give me a lil help? I plan on taking lot of pictures. I haved prepared about 25gal of SW to use and also I sort of have incresed the lighting from a 1 50/50, now I have a 50/50 and antic bulb on my setup. I have them now on a timer and it is set for 4hrs daily. Does limited sunlight count into that 4hr, cause my setup is about 5 ft next to a sliding door? I have a covered porch, so there is not direct sunlight. Should I move it before I put the LR in?

I would highly recommend having another tank set up and ready to accept any critters that you are not sure about. I didn't, and I regret that I ended up tossing a number of critters that might have been keepers.

Pretty much mantis shrimp would be yoru REAL BAD ones you can get rid of off the start. I did a hypersalienty cooler water temp dip... All the stars were fine and the mantis jumped out.

Ive seen many types of diping for preping the LR and cleaning and getting lil critters out, is there one that is most effective?

33w_fish_guy said:
Ive seen many types of diping for preping the LR and cleaning and getting lil critters out, is there one that is most effective?

personal prefrence I think...
I had my 55 gallon tank set up ready to go...
I had a 5 gallon bucket with the hyper salted water. About room temp. Then I just dipped and dumked the rock a few times no longer then 2 min and stuff was jumping out... The good stuff I tossed in my premade water that was going in the tank and the bad stuff into a pitcher of regular salt water.

I put the rock in first then sand. Then added the water and then last the good critters...

Back
Top Bottom