What eats caulerpa??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joshsmit56001

Aquarium Advice Freak
i was wondering what eats caulerpa besides tangs. i have caulerpa in my sump and i want something that will naturally prune it as I have heard if it gets out of control it will "crash" and mess up your entire tank. I have heard that the lined blenny will eat caulerpa (what is the scientific name??) and either mithra crabs or sally light foot crabs do. Not sure which one, can't remember. i jus need somethingi can put in my sump that will prune my caulerpa that I won't have to worry about. Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Josh

The line blenny you are talking about is Rainfordi or court jester I think. But from what I know, it eats hair algea mainly. Caulerpa is too tough for it I think. Mexican Turbo snails will eat some of that caulerpa.

Unfortunately...if you do not go in there and pick pull and REMOVE it from the tank, its purpose is self defeating. Macro algaes do not export nutrients until you remove them from the tank. If you are growing it in your sump for nutrient export then it won't matter, if you are using it for nutrient export, you need to prune it yourself and remove some of the caulerpa manually. FWIW, I don't know of any critters that can keep up with caulerpa.

I don't know what other effects it may have, but I once had a long spined urchin who enjoyed eating the caulerpa in my tank. But I would agree with Kevin, I think even if the urchin eats the caulerpa, all the nutrients you put the caulerpa in to remove will be released back into the tank. I think pruning is what you're really looking for.

(btw, the urchin's get VERY large mine was nearly 10" diameter when I sold him back to the LFS (check my gallery ) )

Prune means to cut or trim away the new growth.. Same as you trim hedges in the yard, or mow the grass :wink:

i would go ahead pull off any new growth if your wanting to keep your caulerpa the size that it is. if your wanting to decrease the size, pull off what ever you want. its very hardy. i had a friend shape it like a bonsai. lol make sure your catch all your trimmings though, so it won't go to your tank

HTH

mark

The easiest way is to just pinch it between your thumb and finger...kinda break it off. I prune mine back about once a week and haven't (crossed fingers here) had any trouble with it yet.

Is it safe to have in your display tank?
I have some grape in my 75 gallon tank not in the sump what would be the difference if its in the display or in the sump?

Back
Top Bottom