What Filter to use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pain Devine

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, so this is what I'm doing...

I have a 16 gallon Tank

I building a 16 gallon refugium bellow it (almost done, ran outa stuff and home depot was closed yesterday!)

When done, I plan on running it with just salt water in it (no rocks or sand or fish) to alow it to stabilize, for a week or so.

Then I'll add live rock, sand and plants, and let it run for another week or so. I've read on this site that throwing in a piece of raw shrimp for the bacteria is a good idea.

After the live rock has been in there for a week or two and the water tests good I'll add a fish or two.

After several months I plan on adding more lights and a coral or two. But thats down the line a ways.

My question is... everyone says that you can't use tap water. But they also say to use natural filtration... how the heck do I naturally filtrate tapwater without killing the tank? I've heard talk of revese osmosis but there aren't any plans for reverse osmosis filters, and none of the sites sell them... unless they are going by a different name. Remember that this is a small tank and I'd rather build a filter than buy one. I
could fill it with distilled water... it's only 36 gallons and they sell distilled water in 5 gallon juggs at the store. But I'd rather filter the tap water.

If you are adding enough LR, then that will be all the filtration you need for the tank put like 10 lbs in the sump and 10 lbs in the main tank or more and you're set.
As for the water, the jugs of distilled are ok, but don't use tap whatever you do. You have no way of knowing what chemicals are in the tapwater that could harm inverts or promote nuisance algae growth. Unless you buy the RO unit you can't be sure you've removed all the crap. Look for the water machines that you see outside grocery stores or sometimes inside. These machines usually dispense reverse osmosis filtered water that is fine for use in reef tanks. Just check the labelling to see what the filtration method is before using it. You can find reverse osmosis units on just about every aquarium supply website or even on e-bay.

yea, screw it... I'll just buy the water. It's only 32 gallons total. I've got a truck so it'll be easy to get it home.

Back
Top Bottom