What Happened??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pudge

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had a pink anemone that popped up on my live rock after i got it from my lfs, my tank has been cycling four weeks and two weeks ago i added 13 blue legs and yesterday i added 16 blue legs and two turbo snail. Well when i got home last night i could not find my anemone anywhere, still no sign this afternoon, could my turbo have ate him?

Are you 100% sure it wasn't an aptasia anemone? They have the ability to suck themselves back into the rock if they get freightened. Aptasia are not a good thing and can be quite a nuisence if not erradicated from your tank.

Are you 100% sure it wasn't an aptasia anemone? They have the ability to suck themselves back into the rock if they get freightened. Aptasia are not a good thing and can be quite a nuisence if not erradicated from your tank.

I had two now one, neither would suck into the rock, but they what appears to be a plastic cover they go into, i know its not plastic. One is a brown to marronish color and the one that is gone is pink.

Why are these anemomes bad for your tank?

Bad or not is a new topic in itself. Per Mike at liverocks.com there are different species of these aiptasia. Some will reproduce faster than rabbits while some cause no problem. Mike says the indo-pacific variety are the one to fear. I killed about 8 of mine with boiling water (just to many on the rock when I received it). There are 12 or so left that I am watching but so far have had no problems with them. check out this thread for more info: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=57836&start=0

i've heard they runs the risk that they might stink corals. i had a about 15 aiptasia and i didn't want to take chances sooo.. i picked up some peppermint shrimp and they wiped out all of them in less than 2 days.

Back
Top Bottom