What happens when an anemone outgrows its tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hydroponicfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am thinking of setting up an anemone tank. I might use a 10 gal I have or a cookie jar or maybe a wine bottle on its side. I understand the need for sump, skimmer & flow, I want to know what will happen when the anemone outgrows the tank? Will it be sad, die, or just stop growing? The only tankmates it may have (depending on the tank) are sexy shrimp and/or probably some asterina starfish. I know its too small, but what will happen when my anemone outgrows its space? There won't be any coral for it to destroy. Why can't it be in tank too small for it?

The 10g will work, the cookie jar I highly doubt and the wine bottle is a no way. Imo it's not the size of the nem, it's the water stability, flow which will be hard to maintain in to small of a system. What are you planning on using for lighting as nems need intense lighting?

I agree with BigRedsreef that it`s not about about a sump but water stability which includes about 6 months to a year till that stability can be achieved. JMO

I would set up the tank before putting in the stock. I would get stability by sealing the the top, live rock from an established system, and weekly 100% water changes like brandon429/reefbowl even if its a 12gal. and maybe adding macroalgae. I heard I can't keep them anyway because they like to move around and are sad if they can't. I'll have to find something else cool to break into saltwater with.

100% wcs in a 12g imo could be detrimental unless you are matching all parameters perfectly to what was already in the tank. Alk, calcium, mag, sg. No clue what you mean by sealing the top? Rock flower nems could work in a small tank like that but I wouldn't do bubble tips or long tentacles or carpets

Google "reefbowl", "Maritza", "pico reef vase" and "brandon429" and you will see how it works. I can't explain it as well as doing this can

Google "reefbowl", "Maritza", "pico reef vase" and "brandon429" and you will see how it works. I can't explain it as well as doing this can

If you notice those are filled with practically bomb proof soft corals, much different than a nem

I agree with BigRedsreef that it`s not about about a sump but water stability which includes about 6 months to a year till that stability can be achieved. JMO
absolutely agree 100 percent !!! when i was first starting into saltwater coral,..one of the major vendors told me that its pretty much a waste of money to put any lps,sps corals in your tank until 6 months to a year, their survival rate is very very low...as mike stated, the saltwater system must stabllize first

Will any lps grow fast and cover a tank with long, colorful tentacles? That's why I want an anemone anyway. If there are any, what kinds?

Back
Top Bottom