What have been people's experience cohabiting snails and hermits?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nrapp33

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I know people keep them in the same tank but to what cost to the snails? I have 5 Astrea Snails (small), 5 big Turbos and a small Nassarius for the sand. This is in a 55g with 60lbs of live sand and rock.

Thanks

As long as you have enough shells for the hermits usually they can live together fine. If you don't the hermits will kill the snails for their shells.

Is there at times Hermits that just go after snails for no good reason even with shells? I especially like my Nassa and Turbo snails. Of course I don't want anything to needlessly die under my care.

I've had mostly the same mix in a 55g (7yrs)no problems i go to the craft store and buy a bunch of shells wash them and throw them behind the rock never lost a snail yet

Nrapp33 said:
I know people keep them in the same tank but to what cost to the snails? I have 5 Astrea Snails (small), 5 big Turbos and a small Nassarius for the sand. This is in a 55g with 60lbs of live sand and rock.

Thanks

My hermits only ever take out the smaller turbos I started getting those large chestnut ones and havnt had an issue since...most likely due to there being plenty of shells now lol..

Haven't had my snails and hermits for long but I was watching a hermit attack one of my nassarius snails. It was kinda cool but he did kill the snail. The hermit should of been paying more atttention hermit got ate by my puffer right after it ate the snail. Pretty funny stuff

Back
Top Bottom