What is meant by a coral being aggressive?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

InfernoST

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi Guys
What does it mean when a coral is said to be peaceful, semi aggressive and aggressive? Also how is each one handled?:D

Some will wage chemical war on each other. Others will sting your other coral if kept to close, Euphyllia comes to mind at that.....

Aggressive and semi-aggressive should be placed away from other coral, put in a corner is best IMO.

Thanks man. Is this chemical warfare dangerous to the fish, snails crabs etc? Let me venture a guess, the more aggressive corals are the better looking ones?

Most of them are the nicer looking ones like frogspawn, torch, and anchor (Euphyllia). They have "sweeper tentacles" that will sting your other coral if to close. As for the chemical, I would think it is only harmful to the coral, you will have to wait for someone else to answer that.

I think it's only coral to coral warfare, the other fish know better than to poke their heads in there, that's why clowns developed a relationship with anemones for safety, no one is going to bother them there :)

Thanks everyone. I think my tank is ready for some corals the parameters are coming together.
Silicates = 0
Phosphates = 0
Ammonia = 0
Nitrites = 0
PH = 8.3
DKH = 9
Calcium = 400
SG = 1.025
Temp = 79
I start bringing my fish out of HYPO this week, can't wait to get them back in the DT.

I'm dosing the calcium and alk with 2 part B-Ionic until I get my reef crystals order and begin the switch over from IO. Night temp is 79 Daytime is 81 with the lights on.

Ahh, ok that sounds better. I like my IO lol, almost out of it. Bought a 160g bucket and it's about and 1/8 full had it for about 4 months now, who would have guessed it would empty that fast on a 20g? Will be switching to Seachem Reef Salt as I hear that is the good stuff, the gold of the hobby.

I'll how the reef crystals fair, if they don't measure up I'll be right with you.

Back
Top Bottom