what is the best algae eating fish for 12 gal.nano reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alanmayer1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i have a new reef tank .12 gallon nanocube with 20 lbs of live rock and some live sand (5 lb bag)a few corals,a strawberry fish, magnifica anemone,a feather duster and a fire shrimp. i understand the algae bloom is part of the cycle and the snails ate making a dent but when i had this problem in my chiclid tank, addition of a plecostumus took care of it.is there something similar for a small reef tank?

No you shouldnt buy a fish to do a job anyways... But turbo snails will do the job. Also, look at sea hares they will eat all the hair algae but you must return it when the algae is gone because they will starve

No you shouldnt buy a fish to do a job anyways... But turbo snails will do the job. Also, look at sea hares they will eat all the hair algae but you must return it when the algae is gone because they will starve[/QUOT
thanks.
but i liked my plecostumus isnt there some cool looking fish that eats algae? blenny? and what about the sea hare's ink? guess i will get some more snails they :) already made a diffwrence overnight.

Last edited:
Phosband. You can stick it in the Refugium or ideally in a reactor. It'll keep your phosphates down which in turn will kill the algae

Back
Top Bottom