What is the best eel for 55gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Death tank

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was looking at a lot of eels but I don't know with is right for my tank . I my tank has a lionfish , hippo tang , a clown fish, puffer fish , trigger fish , and a coral tang.

Death tank said:
I was looking at a lot of eels but I don't know with is right for my tank . I my tank has a lionfish , hippo tang , a clown fish, puffer fish , trigger fish , and a coral tang.

A dwarf morray is probably your best bet because most eels will outgrow that tank

Every single one of your fish except the clownfish needs a tank over 2x that size. That being said, you cant keep an eel in a 55, unless you get something that is unknown. You MAY be able to keep a wolf eel but I wold say 75g. Snowflake eel=75g, black edge moray=125, and everything else pretty much. Your trigger (no matter what type it is) NEEDS A 125, your blue tang NEEDS a 125, and your coral tang????????? IDK what that is, but EVERY SINGLE TANG IN EXISTANCE NEEDS a 75 g tank. Even the smallest (tomini and kole tangs) have a minimum tank size of 75 gallons. Most others need a 125, but some are debated like the yellow tang (being able to be kept in a 75). Your lionfish, unless it is a dwarf fuzzy, dwarf zebra or fu manchu lion, is going to get around 8" and needs a 75g tank. Your clown is fine, but will get eaten by one of your extrememly aggressive fish. I would SERIOUSLY reccomend selling or giving away your fish before they DIE because of improper care. And dont add anything more, that tank is already overstocked about 3-4x what should be in it. GL in the future, and research things before you buy.

crister13 said:
Every single one of your fish except the clownfish needs a tank over 2x that size. That being said, you cant keep an eel in a 55, unless you get something that is unknown. You MAY be able to keep a wolf eel but I wold say 75g. Snowflake eel=75g, black edge moray=125, and everything else pretty much. Your trigger (no matter what type it is) NEEDS A 125, your blue tang NEEDS a 125, and your coral tang????????? IDK what that is, but EVERY SINGLE TANG IN EXISTANCE NEEDS a 75 g tank. Even the smallest (tomini and kole tangs) have a minimum tank size of 75 gallons. Most others need a 125, but some are debated like the yellow tang (being able to be kept in a 75). Your lionfish, unless it is a dwarf fuzzy, dwarf zebra or fu manchu lion, is going to get around 8" and needs a 75g tank. Your clown is fine, but will get eaten by one of your extrememly aggressive fish. I would SERIOUSLY reccomend selling or giving away your fish before they DIE because of improper care. And dont add anything more, that tank is already overstocked about 3-4x what should be in it. GL in the future, and research things before you buy.

Well said chris, i agree with everything.

To the op, dont get an eel until you rehome some fish, you have some serious stocking problems right now

spoonman said:
Without some changes, your screen name will come true. Sorry to say it.

That's what I was thinking lol lack of research is the biggest mistake in this hobby

Man he scared me! But he's advice is point on. I'm fairly new to saltwater but not that new. I wish people would really ask advice before buying, don't be afraid to get the answers you may not wanna hear. Do your research it will only benefit you and well as your fish...

Research and asking many many question will result in a happy tank and a happy hobbyist.

There are eels that could be kept in a 55 or even smaller. Garden eel (expert only, probably best left in ocean) and golden dwarf moray eels. But like others have said your tank mates will need a larger tank for long term success.

Ya garden eels if they sand bed is like 12" lol. If you can find a dwarf golden yeah theyre fine but deinitely not in a 10000000x overstocked tank. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news lolz.

The only thing i can think of it a large engineer goby. Thats your best option.

Chris..you scared me..:)

Haha that's what I was going for. It just gets me mad how many times people don't research and practically torture fish.

Also note those are recommended minimum size tanks for those fish. Your probably cursing us all out right now and i dont blame you but you also have to realize what we are saying is true and we have the fish's interest at heart. You will have problems and fish will die. Its a certainty.

It's interesting to hear all of your input. But every aquarium store that we have gone to has never said anything that you(3rd person pleural) guys/girls have said. It's not that we didnt do our research but we must have got a lot of misinformation for a least 3 reputable stores. So far we have had this tank for@ 1year. With no incidents.
P.s instead of attacking newbies you might want to use a little more tac.

Stores are out to make MONEY. They wont just turn down someone who wants to drop 250 bucks in fish. They dont care about the fish's health for the most part. Its a buisness. Thats why you were missled and those fish can not be happy in a small tank.

Ps: Newbies dont like to listen, sometimes you just gotta drop a bomb and hope they realize their mistake.

Death tank said:
It's interesting to hear all of your input. But every aquarium store that we have gone to has never said anything that you(3rd person pleural) guys/girls have said. It's not that we didnt do our research but we must have got a lot of misinformation for a least 3 reputable stores. So far we have had this tank for@ 1year. With no incidents.
P.s instead of attacking newbies you might want to use a little more tac.

No body is attacking anyone. If anything its tough love. Fish stores will feed you any lie you can swallow, and when it doesnt work out they get you right back in the store to buy more, its what they do and they are good at it. As the fish mature, there will be problems, you cant stop nature.

You could fit a Moray eel in there, it'll be fine. Throw in a few more puffers too.

... seriously though, can you please take a picture of your current tank (video would be even better)? I HAVE to see this.

uscamaro said:
You could fit a Moray eel in there, it'll be fine. Throw in a few more puffers too.

... seriously though, can you please take a picture of your current tank (video would be even better)? I HAVE to see this.

No it will not be fine
The tank in question is already seriously overstocked

Back
Top Bottom