What is the best salt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drinkingbird

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am almost at the end of my Coralife salt bag, so I will need to buy more. Should I stick with the same or is there a better salt available for a reef tank.

So far I have not had any problems with this salt. All critters are doing well. 8)

Seems like I have read some negatives about IO lately. Is this brand not really recommended?

I use only IO. I tried Red Sea because it was on sell and I thru 1/2 of it out. I could actully see the dirt in the bottom of the bucket... Nasty. Anyway, I read a post from Reefrunner & he said regardless of what you use, make the change slowly. Dont just change the salt from one water change to the next..

If your salt seems to be working well for you I would stick with it! I use tropic marin which I feel is a very good salt.

I have heard good things about tropic marin but I have not seen it locally. Not sure if I want to mail order salt :(

I have used almost every salt on the market. I never noticed anyhting different in my tank when using a particular brand. I just tried Coral life becasue it was on sale super cheap at the wholesalers and i must say the Ca and Alk were much better than my Instant Ocean. Also my PH has stayed .1 higher than normal. I think this salt is a good brand that has gotten a bad rap.It is by far the best dissolving salt I have trieds. I used to think it was bad but after trying it I think it is fine. I think all the salts are fine that are on the market right now.

Corallife seemed to be pretty good to me except for the Extremely high Ca levels.. they were way above 500ppm.. Other than that it was great and cheap.. I have tried Kent.. YUK Alk was way high.. Tried IO and it seems to be ok.. and is what i have been using lately.. I think i might switch to either Tropic Marin or back to Coralife

James

My PH with IO has always been a touch low. I am pleasently surprised with the coralife salt as it has raised my PH.

Back
Top Bottom