What is the most quiet wave maker / power head ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sealife

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I own a SunSun jvp-100, but its not quiet eniugh for me.

What is a quiet brand? I was thinking Tunze. Mainly 6015, 6020, or 6025. I only need it for water circulation and surface agitation. Nothing else.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I liked the Koralia's when I used them. Very quiet, good flow, and a strong magnet will ensure they won't fall off the glass.

I've used several brands, but none of them have been loud at all. If they are, in all reality they probably just need cleaned and have the propeller removed and reset in there. Even brand new ones I've seen this work with.

So brands won't make any difference? I may as well keep my cheap SunSun. I thought something more expensive like Tunze would be more quiet.

How much water movement do you need? Why not grab an ecotech mp10 or mp40? I have 2-10's and 1-40 and I just don't run them over 50%. I went a bit overkill on the flow to be sure I don't have to run them at high power. The 40 never really goes about 30% unless I'm right up on them, I don't hear them.
The koralia's are decent too, but they're footprint can get rather large and bulky and I was never really too impressed with their power.
Heard good things about tuze though.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Quality, durability and features dictate the price of circulating pumps. If you have one that is noisy then you got a defective one or did not last long. When it comes to return pumps then yes there are noisy ones.

I have a few mp40s that run 100% during the day and they are very loud, especially during short pulse modes.

Just the motor intensity. I've tried adjusting positions and no better. Cut up a yoga mat to give more padding and that helped a tad. Running lower speed helps the most but given that I have 300 gallons to move around and my Achilles tang loves the turbulence, I'll deal with it. At least until something new like the maxspect gyre replaces them.

I would say that it is inherent to its design. Although you eliminate the heat and stray voltage, the rotor has to be as close to the glass to make the mag driver more effective. It is an expensive wave maker. I would pick Jebao WP 60 for a 300 gal tank. No noise and at a very good price with same results.

My SunSun JVP-100 is brand new. Only used it for 5 minutes. Its just noisier than my Eheim 2217 filter. I wanted something quieter so I dont have to hear anything from the tank from any electricals.
Its only for surface agitation and oxygen.

I would pick Jebao WP 60 for a 300 gal tank. No noise and at a very good price with same results.
I hear a little high pitched electrical motor sound out of mine. I do use a dimmer switch to turn it down a bit lower than the lowest setting though. Maybe that is a factor, but it's too strong otherwise. I bought a second Jebao for my new build. I'm anxious to try the RW-15. I like the design better.

I have an mp-40 on my 90 gal and an mp-60 on my 180 gal. Surprisingly the mp-60 is much more quiet. Both are run on Reef Mode and max is about 60-70%.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I hear a little high pitched electrical motor sound out of mine. I do use a dimmer switch to turn it down a bit lower than the lowest setting though. Maybe that is a factor, but it's too strong otherwise. I bought a second Jebao for my new build. I'm anxious to try the RW-15. I like the design better.

The high pitch sound is caused by DC pulses coming from the variable speed motor control and not from the pump. An electrolytic capacitor across the pump might reduce or totally get rid of that noise.

I do find that the cheaper ones are louder. I use tunze powerheads and they are much quieter than the cheap ones I use for mixing water ;)

I used a sun sun for about a week before picking up a Hydor and didn't notice any noise from either. I then gave the sun sun to my brother to use. It got pretty abused, floating plants got stuck in the prepllerler, it was run dry a few times. I took it out today to mix salt and the noise is unbearable. So I think the hydors are definitely better but either way the pumps need to be maintained properly.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have an mp10 and it is pretty quiet. Have used koralias too and not much noise from them either.

Sun sun is rated 220vac at 50hz. So it is not the right choice in the US. Any circulating pump mounted improperly will create noise. If you look closely how these pumps are constructed it should not create such unwanted noise. The rotor is a floating magnet inside the stator with the ac or dc power. The only point of contact is at the tip of the shaft to align it with the body. The best way to mount it is horizontal. Mounting it at a greater angle will result on the rotor to be jumping up and down thus creating that noise.

I've noticed when the impeller shaft wears out they get noisy , I had 2 shear off talk about a racket , replaced impellers and shafts with replacement parts couldn't be no quieter
I can't even here them running , the cost for the 2 impellers and shafts were a tad high but still cheaper than buying new power heads ,$25. was the total damage buying through the pet store didn't help but they were in stock

Back
Top Bottom