What is the verdict on Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

toddwess

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay, I have some questions about algae . . .

Green algae on the glass -- how much is too much?

Green "grass looking" algae on the LR -- how much is too much?

Now, I have only finished cycling 4 days ago in a 40 gallon tank with 45 lbs of LR. I have 10 blue hermits and 10 snails and 2 cleaner shrimp.

Thoughts?

Todd

Many of these types of algaes are common in new tank and should really be of no real concern at this point.

Green algae on the glass is a normal sign of phosphates and/or nitrates and as they tank matures will become less and less although they never really go away most times. Do you know the PO4 or NO3 levels?

The "grass" like algae could be a simple but beneficial macro algae or nuisance hair algae. If the latter I would make sure it is hand pruned and kept short. If too long, you cleaning critters will most likely ignore it. If the former I would not worry.

Here's 2 links that will help ID if not hair algae. Algae I Algae II

It will also depend on your source water. RO is the recommended as many local waters (well, tap and such) contain many contaminants that fuel these algaes.

Your snails and crabs wil help with these issues but unfortunately the cleaners help will be indirect as they will only eat leftover foods.

Hang in there it will all be good in no time.

Cheers
Steve

steve-s said:
Do you know the PO4 or NO3 levels?

Thanks for the links! This is a great resource. None of my algae looks like any of those pictured, so they are probably junk. I'll see how big they get, and pull them out as needed.

As of last night, the Phosphates are 0.2 and Nitrates are at 5ppm.

Thanks again,
Todd

toddwess said:

Those are pretty good numbers and support the algaes being part of a new set up. PO4 is not really a concerns unless 0.5 or higher. So just ride the storm and keep an eye on things. I am assuming you used RO water?

Good Luck 8)
Cheers
Steve

steve-s said:
toddwess said:

Those are pretty good numbers and support the algaes being part of a new set up. PO4 is not really a concerns unless 0.5 or higher. So just ride the storm and keep an eye on things. I am assuming you used RO water?

Good Luck 8)
Cheers
Steve

Umm, sort of. I have a tap water filter that makes deionized water. When I initially filled the tank, I did not read the directions on the filter, and I ran the water through it too fast. The water going through the filter was too fast, so it wasn't "real" DI water.

I did a 25% water change last night with Deer Park Distilled drinking water (the stuff that is in those big 5 gallon jugs on water coolers) and that is where the 0.2 phosphates comes from. Is it okay to use filtered water like Deer Park for water swaps???? I sure hope so . . .

Thanks for the continued help! ;)
Todd

I am not familiar with "Deer Park" water. Possibley someone else may be able to help you with that.

Although RO is prefered, filtered tap water can also be used providing you know what's in it. I am fortunate enough to have a great water source and am able to use it without a problem. I would just caustion others on it's use until they get an analysis from the local waterworks dept.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom